Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #1 
shushcat

Lightbulb Stress lines only at certain times of day?

I've noticed that one of my bettas (Eris) in my divided 10gal has been getting mild stress stripes - but only between their bedtime and my bedtime (although it could be after my bedtime, too, but I wouldn't know ). The other one (the Kraken) looks just fine when I check on them before going to sleep, but Eris is always between growing plants at the bottom of the tank.

During the morning, afternoon, and evening he's normal. It's just before bed that the stripes show up!

(Before anyone asks, my tank is currently cycling, and I've just gotten nitrates! Finally! Whoo! I've been keeping a close eye on them, and they've been consistent and low so far even during his stress stripe episodes, so it's not due to any change in water quality that only happens at night or whatever.)

Eris's side is closest to all sources of light in my room, so even though I turn off their light, I still have my lamp (and computer) emitting light. I'm thinking this might be the problem, so I'll be experimenting with blocking the light on his side at night.

But I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it?
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I'm not sure if this is true for bettas, but I observed in my neon tetras that their color fades at night when they sleep- because in the wild their colors attract predators. Bettas' stripes only show up when their color fades, I think. That's how it was with my females who were both super skittish when I first got them. So I wonder if it's their colors fading while getting ready to sleep, making the strip visible, or I dunno. I could be totally wrong here.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Sometimes they do lose color at night, but another thought is that if you have the tank lights off and the room lights on, he could be seeing his reflection enough to stress him. The other guy may not care about the reflections, or isn't seeing them the same way the stressed one is. Just a thought.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 
shushcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I'm not sure if this is true for bettas, but I observed in my neon tetras that their color fades at night when they sleep- because in the wild their colors attract predators. Bettas' stripes only show up when their color fades, I think. That's how it was with my females who were both super skittish when I first got them. So I wonder if it's their colors fading while getting ready to sleep, making the strip visible, or I dunno. I could be totally wrong here.
I've never heard of that - that's fascinating! I had no idea tetras did that. Do you think other fish do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Sometimes they do lose color at night, but another thought is that if you have the tank lights off and the room lights on, he could be seeing his reflection enough to stress him. The other guy may not care about the reflections, or isn't seeing them the same way the stressed one is. Just a thought.
I'm not sure if it's that, but I switched some of the lights in my room around to lessen the amount of light indirectly reaching the tank, so hopefully that helps (it has so far! - no lines).
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote