Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #1 
candy4365

very sick betta

Got my Betta as a table decoration :( yeah I researched online and know that was bad. Anyway that was in July 2012, bought a 2 gal critter keeper and did fine until about 2 months ago. Then he was just laying on the bottom constantly. Also had a layer of something on top of water so did a good cleaning of tank :( So did more research thought it may be SBD, first thing I tried was the ES, with 50% water changes every other day, then bought water conditioner and Bettafix, no better or worse. After more research (results seemed 50/50) but lady at LPS said that is what she did when they come in sick so I tried the pea. No change. Also tried changing diet to dried Bloodworms, Daphnia, and Mysis (Betta Dial-A-Treat) was previously using TetraBetta floating mini pellets and Tetra Baby shrimp-sun dried gammarus. Still no change and refusing to eat. Also have a betta hammock to try to make him more comfortable but just lays under it. So before finding DarkMoon17 medication list (great job) I had bought Betta Revive and am in the third day of using that. Planning to change the water tonight, that hasn't helped one iota either. I do believe he had fin rot when I got him, but in my ignorance didn't realize it till he got sick and starting doing reasearch and seeing pics of other bettas. I feel like I am torturing this poor guy, heated water to 80 and ph is 7.5. Don't know what to do, thinking to try Fungus Cure and Stress Coat..... I really pity this poor guy, he is struggling so valiantly to survive.
candy4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 
tngirl92

I use stress coat regularly anyway. I am dealing with a very, very sick betta fish right now, too, so I know what you're going through. :(

Has your betta's appearance changed at all?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
candy4365

Still valiantly surviving

No, he is not pine coned and his skin looks ok, but seems to also have clamped fins. I also think he has fin rot, since I have him, his fins are stringy and clamped. The only time he swims is when the water temp is really up. And he is not eating. treated him with stress coat yesterday seemed to help him feel better for about an hour he was swimming around, eats very little or none at all. If he makes it through the week I was was going to order Fungus Clear online. They only have Fungus Cure at LPS.Thanks for answering.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #4 
tngirl92

Personally, I am not sure that his black coloration is part of his natural coloring at all. It reminds me a lot of the Myco disease that everyone has been talking about, but I could be wrong. Are you sure he has not changed color? See here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

I'm no expert, what do others think?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 
mushumouse

hmm, maybe this is just your wording candy, but has the temperature in your fish's tank been fluctuating a lot? you said he swam only "when the water temp is really up". bettas are sensitive to changes in temperature, you have to change the water temperature very slowly if you want to change it- like one degree an hour- and they do best when they're just staying at one temperature. i am also not an expert, but does he look like he has kind of a grey fuzz on him in person? i can see something gray in the picture that looks like it's on top of his scales, does it look like slime or like something fuzzy? it could be columnaris, so i hope someone more experienced sees this thread to confirm, and it might help if you could post more pictures. but since you can't medicate immediately anyhow, whether it is or isn't, i would say at this point try to keep the water conditions as stable as possible from now on... steady temperature, same dose of stress coat every water change (stress coat is a good water conditioner anyways so it sure won't hurt). a lot of people seem to recommend soaking food pellets in garlic juice to try to entice bettas to eat, you could give that a shot, just remember to take uneaten food out if it doesn't work. again good luck, fingers crossed on someone seeing this.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

Columnaris

This looks like columnaris, judging by the white patches on his body.. Treat for gram-negative bacteria
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #7 
candy4365

Water temp changes are strange don't appear on thermometer but feels warmer to the touch,heater cycles on/off and liked being close to heater plus living in PA have warm days recently. Could be water change, acclimated him in cup for about half hour and had let water set to remove gases for about 6 hours. Am planning to do 50% water change today and order Fungus Clear online. Hope it is not Myco or columaris, he had been struggling for about two months. I am thinking if he had these he would be gone by now. He has dark body with reddish fins since I have him.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #8 
candy4365

Smile Yay, he's better

Finally after over two months of struggling and various treatments the Stress Coat and water conditioner seemed to have done the trick. Last night after doing a 50% water change in a 2 gal tank, he started swimming around so I fed him some dried bloodworms, Daphnia and Mysis, a little bit of each. He kept hanging out at the water heater too. Well he kept swimming alot last night and this morning when i checked on him he was swimming like an olympian. He still seems to get tired and will rest, but when he sees me he starts swimming again. He also ate breakfast but only 2 bloodworms, wasn't interested in the rest so I removed it. Yay. Now if only my inside/outside cat would return, disappeared on sunday afternoon, worried that either fox, coyotes, hawk or an owl got her. Amazing after 13 years something should happen to her now, but still hoping since I have friends that have had cats return home after two weeks.