Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 
Rilly10

Fluval Spec V - could use some suggestions!

Ok so sorry for the terrible pics, but here is what I have so far! I am sure my tank is gonna be a mess for a bit with the tannins but the fish seems happy! I moved him in last night after adding the Monapi wood and two Anubias. The floating log will probably come out when I add more plants. I just wanted him to have something to hide in up top until the tank is done.

I would love to hear suggestions for what other plants to add and if you think my placement is ok for the wood. For plants I really like Anubias, the Java Fern Windelov, and maybe water Wisteria, but am open to other options. Once my Salvinia grows more in my other tank I will add some of that to this one too. I should prob also add moss since I want to eventually add shrimp to this tank too once it is done cycling.

I was also thinking of getting a better light (I HATE having to uncrew this one and take it off each time...what a PAIN! Does anyone have a diff one to recommend? I was thinking of the Marineland ML Double Bright LED Light, 18-Inch to 24-Inch?
Attached Images

Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

looks great so far! I would actually stick to rhizome and rosette plants in this tank~ plants like java fern, crypts and dwarf varieties of amazon swords would look great!

if yo do moss, definitely tie it to the wood!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #3 
isochronism

I love the Spec V! I actually got two smaller Specs afterward. I have similar to what Aokashi recommends in my V. You are off to a good start.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 
VJM

Is that the stock light? You have to unscrew it every time? That seems whack.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #5 
Crowntails

Looks great! Well done.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 
Rilly10

Thaks everyone! I am trying to find some moss to tie onto a log. I am not having much luck though. Guess I am gonna have to order online. Same goes for other plants. All the lps by me have snail infestations, sick plants, or nothing but high light stuff other than anubias. I woul love dwarf water lettuce too if I can find it. Or red root floaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Is that the stock light? You have to unscrew it every time? That seems whack.
Yup! It stinks! Not very bright either as you can see. I think I am gonna upgrade. I lube the look of this tank but honestly wouldn't recommend it. Wish I bought another evolve (should have gotten the 8). That has a nice light that swivels out of he way ND more room in the hidden back part for a heater and thermometer. Honestly if I had not already set it up and modified the filteer I would have returned it :( I do love the way it looks though. Oh well.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #7 
Otterfun

i do not with my LED, it fits in the slot without much trouble, and the screw does not do anything IME.
you can get the Fluval Mini power 13V
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Po...I25QJJ8SL3BJOU
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
VJM

Or this one?

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page...hk=1&Itemid=61

The appeal sort of gets lost for me if I have to buy another light. At that price point, I will wait for the Mr. Aqua 6.6 bookshelf to stop selling as a kit.

More research!
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #9 
bettaakapes

looks amazing!!! to me all that pain is worth it. with LED's your plants will grow like crazy. so i would stick with it :)
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #10 
isochronism

I have my Fluvals on a windowsill facing southern exposure so I am not worried about higher light. Fluval has a nice upgrade light tho I do not know how long it is.
I purchased nine dwarf water lettuce and it has tripled by giving off babies in just a couple months. Even babies are having babies!! I really like it!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote