Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
antonrodra

Just bought a betta :(

I just bought a betta delta, I believe, yesterday. It seemed fine but when I woke up this morning it was largely lethargic and almost floating to its side. It'll get bursts of energy but then sink to the bottom as if it's on its last breath. There is also a weird cottony white substance coming from off it's body.

I decontaminated the water**

help!!! I am a complete newbie. :(((
antonrodra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Welcome. OK a couple of questions first . . . How big is the tank he's currently in? What water conditioner did you use? Is the tank heated? What's the temp? Is the tank filtered? Can you post a pic?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #3 
antonrodra

Maybe like .5 gallon....API stress and coat......not heated...room temperature.....no filter.....
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #4 
Elliriyanna

Bettas need heated filtered water sounds like a fungus.
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
DamanDhillon

get a heater and treat him with a fungus medication.

for that size, the Marina mini heater should be perfect and very inexpensive.

you should begin his treatment asap! I think you might have bought him while he was just starting to get sick and progressed over night.
DamanDhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonrodra View Post
Maybe like .5 gallon....API stress and coat......not heated...room temperature.....no filter.....
He needs to be in water that is 78-80F, .5g is a small volume of water & will require a 100% water change pretty much every other day to keep your fish healthy. If you can get something bigger, IMO, it would be better & require a little less work on your end. I have a 2.5g tank, unfiltered, but heated, I do 2 water changes per week on it. If you can I would get aquarium salt, a lot of time clean, warn, conditioned water is all that is needed but aq salt can help in some cases. The normal dosage is 1/2 tsp per gallon pre dissolved & then poured in to the tank. You can try something stronger as the other poster suggested, I tend to stay away from meds if I can so I usually start with the aq salt & clean water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7 
justmel

What about a picture? Pictures can sometimes really help those are here you know what they are talking about help us.

Some stuff you are going to find out is that you betta needs a bigger home. 1/2 gallon is WAY to small, I still have 2 of these bowls myself but the sit in the closet now. The betta can live in it, but it won't be happy or as healthy as it can be. Most people on here suggest a minimum of 2.5 gallons per betta. He also needs heat. Bettas are from Thailand and China and used to higher temps. It's best for your betta to be kept around 80 degrees. In smaller tanks a filter isn't needed, but frequent water changes are.

As to what is wrong with you guy. Have you checked
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
and
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73333
to see if it's covered in there? Have you seen ick before on a fish? I don't know if it can happen as quickly as you say you betta got sick, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of a cottony white sustance.

Whatever it is, you can be sure that keeping the water clean will help. So my suggestion is to make sure to change the water daily. Other than that I don't know enough about betta heath to feel comfortable telling you how to treat him. I hope someone can help you soon & you guy turns out fine. Let us know how it goes.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #8 
antonrodra

Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #9 
antonrodra

theres the picture....I just called the local pet stores...no one has a heater....what can i do...he's seems ok for now but I feel like he's on his way out....
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #10 
justmel

Not ick. I'd have to say it looks like a fungus myself, as to which one I personally have no clue. Lot's of people swear by the AQ salt (aquarium salt) remedy. I wish I knew enough to be some real help to you
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote