Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #11 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonrodra View Post
theres the picture....I just called the local pet stores...no one has a heater....what can i do...he's seems ok for now but I feel like he's on his way out....
for a small bowl like he's in no one would have a heater. I really think you are going to have to get him a new tank, one large enough to heat. Also post in the disease thread. A mod or some who knows what they are talking about might see your post quicker there
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #12 
antonrodra

It's so weird....one second it seems like hes dead floating on the bottom and the next he's swimming around like nothings wrong....
antonrodra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #13 
isochronism

I agree on the larger tank. The adjustable heaters are more expensive, but the ONLY way to go IMO.
I hope he gets better soon. Good Luck!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #14 
Elliriyanna

Ich looks like grains of salt ... never white cotton

I agree with it being a fungus ... Most likely his immune system was compromised at the store.

I would say try the aquarium salt and to get him into a 2-3 gallon tank with a 25 watt heater ( Can be used in up to a 5 gallon) a small sponge filter would also help him :)

Your cheapest bet is just to buy a critter keeper :) You can get a 3 gallon for about $10 and they are made to hold water :)
Elliriyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #15 
antonrodra

It's not feasible for me to go get a bigger tank, and salt, and a heater, I can barely pay the rent. I had no idea it would be like this, I was under the impression they were quite durable as gold fish.

I just wanted a little companion for my desk but I am doing everything I can right now with the means I have. I just completely cleaned his tank and took out the pebbles to give him a little more room.

I put a 25 watt bulb over his tank which to my understanding emits a temperature of 83 degrees.

Last edited by antonrodra; 04-11-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #16 
justmel

I know a lot of times I work on a tight budget. If you have this problem focus on getting a large enough tank to heat right now. You can get a filter later and just do more water changes till then
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 
justmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonrodra View Post
It's not feasible for me to go get a bigger tank, and salt, and a heater, I can barely pay the rent. I had no idea it would be like this, I was under the impression there were quite durable as gold fish.

I just wanted a little companion for my desk but I am doing everything I can right now with the means I have. I just completely cleaned his tank and took out the pebbles to give him a little more room.

I put a 25 watt bulb over his tank which to my understanding emits a temperature of 83 degrees.
I think my last post was made at the same time yours was. You need to be careful with a light as it's hard to tell how hot it gets the water. Also, if you turn it off at night the water can get to cold, but leaving it on is hard on the betta. Still, you are doing the best you can do right now. A lot of people get bettas in the same situation as you and make it work.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #18 
shellieca

Unfortunately, he's not OK for now. He really needs some warmth & aq salt will help, may not solve the whole problem but I think it'll help. Where do you live? Do you have a Wal-mart? Petsmart or Petco? Any local fish store (LFS) or local pet store (LPS)? I'm surprised nobody has any kind of a heater, I know it can happen but it still surprises me. Can you order online? How warm is the room he's in? Can you get him somewhere warmer? If he's laying on the bottom of the tank as in the picture, that's not good & he needs attention. It is possible that he was very sick when you purchased him & he may be too far advanced to save but its worth a shot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #19 
antonrodra

Like I said its weird as hell.....right now he's fluttering around like crazy....and then the next second he's on the bottom like he's about to go....can anybody explain this this to me??? He's been doing this for the past 30 minutes..as I type , the fins are going crazy and he's swimming rapidly....5 minutes ago I thought he was dead.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #20 
mushumouse

antonroda, if you have an hour to spare i would suggest beating down your local thrift and secondhand stores soon. the goodwill and salvation army around here frequently have secondhand aquariums for a few dollars, as well as large decorative glass vessels that might be bigger than what you have him in now- just remember when he's sick you want something long, not tall, or he'll have a hard time swimming to the surface. it looks like he has some really nasty fungus, i believe walmart carries a medicine called jungle fungus clear, i would get some asap if it's spread that far in one night- but i'm not an expert on diseases so yeah you should make a post in the sick betta forum, general recommendations in this sticky. they also have some cheap heaters at walmart, but it is very important to get a thermometer if you're going to get a non-adjustable heater in such a small container, it should only cost a buck or two.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote