Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #1 
kimt

I need some quick help..baby betta rescue

I just walked in the door with a baby betta. He's not doing well at all..looks to have nasty ammonia burns. I'm setting him up in my 1 gallon hospital tank which is all I have for now. Should I use aquarium salt and if so how much? Would it be best to poke some holes in his cup and float it in the tank so he won't have to swim far to the surface? Any other advice you could give would be appreciated.

I could have choked the girl at checkout for swirling his water all over the place while she tried to scan him. I snapped at her that he is very sick and I would appreciate if she didn't kill him before I paid for him
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #2 
isochronism

Others will answer that have more experience. I just wanted to say that was a good telling off!!! :)
I'm surprised that some people will get a job at a pet shop when they don't even respect animals.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would recommend just some good warm water for now, and a place to rest near the surface if possible. A good water temperature for younger fish is from 82-86F. Most baby bettas are rather starved at the LFS as they dont take the bigger pellets/ dont recognize them as food. crush up some betta food and drop a little in for feeding. you can blow it around on the surface of the tank if he/she doesn't respond to it. make sure to take all uneaten food out. good luck to your little fish.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #4 
kimt

Things are looking better. He seems to have responded well to the clean warm water although I am going out for a different heater when my son gets home from school. Never did care for the one that is in there now but it is working ok for now. I crushed up a bit of a flake and he did eat it and is now super pissed about being confined in the cup floating in the tank, lol. He has been swimming around furiously looking for a way out then wears himself out and floats on his side for a bit. I feel more hopeful now, before he was just laying on his side and I couldn't barely tell if he was breathing. I was just going in for a 20 gallon long tank and I couldn't walk by one more sick betta. I found one dead, floating in a cup so dirty, I couldn't tell what color the fish was I hope this little one makes it and I hope it's female as I am planning a sorority anyway. I can definitely see little crown tail spikes on it's tail.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
Otterfun

get him/her in a breeder box and stick it close to surface if your tank is too deep. any water deeper than 4" will be hard for babies to swim up to breath.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #6 
kimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
get him/her in a breeder box and stick it close to surface if your tank is too deep. any water deeper than 4" will be hard for babies to swim up to breath.
He's in a solo cup that I cut down to 2 inches. I poked some holes in the cup so water could flow in and out and it is floating in the tank. I will look for the breeder box when I go out to petsmart after my son gets home. Petco just didn't have everything I needed but I couldn't leave him behind.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimt View Post
He's in a solo cup that I cut down to 2 inches. I poked some holes in the cup so water could flow in and out and it is floating in the tank. I will look for the breeder box when I go out to petsmart after my son gets home. Petco just didn't have everything I needed but I couldn't leave him behind.
they come in mesh (soft fabric) or acryllic with slots. i picked the acrylic one but always wonder if it will be better to have the mesh one.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #8 
kimt

What a difference a day makes! I went to bed last night saying a little prayer for the little squeak. He was showing some improvement last night but still looked a little touch and go. I woke up this morning to find him swimming all over the cup and happily blowing bubbles. He has a little color on his fins now too. You would never know this fish was lying listlessy on his side when I brought him home yesterday. I wonder if he just wasn't starving to death. I fed him a second time yesterday and he scarfed it all up like he heard thanksgiving was cancelled.

And I managed to get another fish in the house without dh grumbling. He gave me the look when he saw the tank out yesterday and I explained he may not make this morning. This morning, he put his hand on my shoulder as I was feeding little squeak and said that I had such a heart for down trodden animals and he loved that about me. I hope little squeak is a girl as I am planning a sorority. Otherwise I will have to split the planned 10 gallon into 3 rather than 2 for the boys.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #9 
isochronism

It seems that your husband has a soft spot also. Good story! :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #10 
D359

Awww very sweet husband. And I'm glad Little Squeek is doing much better.
D359 is offline   Reply With Quote