Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
Thomasdog

Talking New (and First) Rescue!

Hello All!
I went to Petsmart today to buy some dog food and Prime water conditioner, and well, per usual I coulden't resist looking at the bettas. There were only 4 left, 1 female, and 3 males. 2 of the males looked OK, and the female looked kinda bad, but there was one little male who stole my heart. He was laying at the bottom of his cup, which was very dirty and yucky, taking HUGE gasping breaths. He really coulden't swim too well, he was so exhaused, so I had to drain a bit of the water out to help him breathe. I have been planning a rescue for a while, and I am very excited to announce this lucky boy to be my very first one! :)

I also met a really cool employee who was into fish too, on a somewhat related note.

ANYWAYS! He is a red CT, my first CT, and he continues on my 'red streak'. All of the fish in my household are reds, as of right now! :P I just really like them! :D I wanted to name him Tacos, but alas my mother convinced me to alter his name to: *drumroll please* Wahoo's Fish Tacos! Yes, he is named after the taco place, so it is resereved/copyrighted blah blah blah. <--- Just don't want to get sued, so you can call him Wahoo or Fish or Taco or Tacos. Like I do! :P

He has been in his 1g 1/2 filled hospital tank for about 2 hours now, with little improvement. He will stay in this tank until he is rested and I am confident he will be able to swim to the surface of a 5g. (His future home)

So without furter adue- Photos!!!! (They are all of him in his cup, except for the last one, which he looks disfigured in, since he is in a glass bowl.) Oh, and he is starting to swim a little in it!!!
Attached Images

Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
Bizzycakes

He's gonna be a beautiful betta =] Best of luck can't wait to see updates!!
Bizzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #3 
Thomasdog

Thanks! I'll keep you guys in the loop! :)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #4 
Snoeflayke

Poor little guy.
At least now he has a great home, and I can't think of a better place to be than with one of the forum members!

Careful though, rescuing is a slippery slope...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #5 
Laurenie

Congrats on the new CT! I've always found red CTs to be particularly stunning. Did you ask to speak to a manager about the gross condition of his water and poor state of health he was in as well as the female you mentioned not looking well? Thats great you met an employee who's also a fish enthusiast--did they have anything to say about your poor guy? Since you're obviously very passionate about bettas receiving appropriate care, maybe trying to help educate/encourage stores to improve their standards is something you could start doing whenever you have a chance. This is actually a crucial aspect of rescue work and can really make a difference. Like Snoeyflayke said, rescuing can be a slippery slope--and in a variety of ways. Sounds like Tacos has a great chance for a long and happy life now--I'll definitely be rooting for him.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #6 
Thomasdog

Thanks for all the support guys! :)

Taco is doing great so far, he is still in his hospital tank, probably just for a few more days. He does not seem to have any fin rot or other prominent diseases as far as I can tell. I am just letting his get his strength up before I move him into the 5g.

I did talk to the employee, asking him what he thought of the betta's conditions. He said that he did not work in the fish department, but basically he thought that the tanks were pretty nasty, but took no initiave to help the bettas. Lazy -_- .
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 
konstargirl

He's a beauty. I wish him the best. <3
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote