Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 
ANHEL123

ph questions

Hey guys i am talking to someone who has 4 bettas from Thailand. One her betta has problems and i think he just more sensitive then others. Her ph is 8.0 I do know that bettas are adjustable to ph, but this one is very difficult and have problem with his tail. We did 10 days course of aq salt and IAL. He was treated before with medications before salt. His tail looked perfectly fine 2 days ago today he looks like it fin rot. So i want to try safely lower ph.
Did anyone use drifwood or blackwater extract like Kent's Blackwater or Attison's Betta Spa .
Is there anything i have to know before using it? I understand that extract bottle probably will have instructions ...How about driftwood any instructions on that?
Thank you very much.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 
shellieca

I don't think the Ph is the problem with his fin rot. Are you sure he has fin rot? Did you see a pic of it? What are the water parameters? What is the water change schedule? As far the driftwood goes, there's no special directions that I know of. Boil it well or run it through a dishwasher with no soap of course. Soak it for as long as you want in a bucket to get as many tannins out as you can. My understanding is that it doesn't typically have much of an effect on Ph most of the time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Hey guys i am talking to someone who has 4 bettas from Thailand. One her betta has problems and i think he just more sensitive then others. Her ph is 8.0 I do know that bettas are adjustable to ph, but this one is very difficult and have problem with his tail. We did 10 days course of aq salt and IAL. He was treated before with medications before salt. His tail looked perfectly fine 2 days ago today he looks like it fin rot. So i want to try safely lower ph.
Did anyone use drifwood or blackwater extract like Kent's Blackwater or Attison's Betta Spa .
Is there anything i have to know before using it? I understand that extract bottle probably will have instructions ...How about driftwood any instructions on that?
Thank you very much.
My pH is 8 and I gave up touching it. My bettas do just fine in this pH. I have been unsuccessful at reducing it much at all until I realized it wasn't worth the trouble and can be too complicated sometimes to figure out how to get it down unless you know why your pH is what it is.

I have doubts that pH is your issue and that you should try to reach other conclusions.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Then i don't even know what to think. She got four betta and only this one has problem then it not ph. He had problem from beginning. I found that girl on yahooanswers and was trying to help her. I am talking to her for 10 days already. Before i knew her she treated him with 3 different kind of medications. He also had hole in his head. Yes i saw the pictures. He had mild fin rot, he was a little lethargic. Not he is acting a lot of better and his tail was fine 2 days ago. She finished 10 days of the salt (3tsp/gall) with daily water changes. He had IAL for 4 days in his tank. She sent me his pictures today and it look so different from that he had 2 days ago. Look like they are frayed. I have no idea what else to recommend to her. We can't medicate him again .
I did spoke to Sakura8 just didn't want to bother her again....She said that if bettas from Thailand they might have difficulties to adjust to high ph, since Thailand water is very soft 6.0 ph. So that is why i think may be this guy is super sensitive. There is nothing else to do for him . We can over medicate him again, no salt since he just had it. So i was thinking either try to lower ph or i am thinking now Epsom salt. I do know that Epsom for internal problems but it also antibacterial .But i don't think it will help...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 
Xeek

how big is his tank? Itl be easier to get water from another source than to change the current water.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 
Xeek

i should say all this stuff like finrot and a hole in his head i doubt was because of ph. sometimes you have to face that you cant save every fish.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Then i don't even know what to think. She got four betta and only this one has problem then it not ph. He had problem from beginning. I found that girl on yahooanswers and was trying to help her. I am talking to her for 10 days already. Before i knew her she treated him with 3 different kind of medications. He also had hole in his head. Yes i saw the pictures. He had mild fin rot, he was a little lethargic. Not he is acting a lot of better and his tail was fine 2 days ago. She finished 10 days of the salt (3tsp/gall) with daily water changes. He had IAL for 4 days in his tank. She sent me his pictures today and it look so different from that he had 2 days ago. Look like they are frayed. I have no idea what else to recommend to her. We can't medicate him again .
I did spoke to Sakura8 just didn't want to bother her again....She said that if bettas from Thailand they might have difficulties to adjust to high ph, since Thailand water is very soft 6.0 ph. So that is why i think may be this guy is super sensitive. There is nothing else to do for him . We can over medicate him again, no salt since he just had it. So i was thinking either try to lower ph or i am thinking now Epsom salt. I do know that Epsom for internal problems but it also antibacterial .But i don't think it will help...
I usually don't nit pick...but this girl has a fish with a hole in its head and she's worried about the fin rot? Shouldn't we be more worried about the whole in his head? Also, if the fish can survive a hole in his head, he can survive tattered fins. I wouldn't use anymore medications unless the fin rot is progressing towards it's body. If it's still localized by the tip of the tail, you should be good with clean water and time. (I'm just guessing it's at the tip since that's the most common spot)

Just as a side note, I am not anti-medications. I am suggesting clean water because it is just fin rot. Fin rot does not need 3 different medications in 10 days. So I am not against 3 different medications for the treatment of a problem. I am simply advising you don't use 3 medications in 10 days when it is not needed. Also, I'm pretty sure that each medication needs about a week to work. Changing a medication before it has had time to work just waste money and stresses the fish.

As for the pH questions...

Don't adjust the pH. Water can be hard (resistent to pH changes) or soft (easy to pH). The more natural pH buffers a water source has, the harder the water. When adjusting pH the natural buffers in the water will try to reset the water to it's natural pH. At first you will see the pH you want, but the chemicals will run there course and the pH will be right back at 8. If my water is at a pH of 7.6 with my hardness, the girl must have even harder water for a natural pH of 8.0. A steady pH of 8.0 is healthier than all the water parameter changes the fish has been through to date.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8 
Otterfun

I really do not think it is the pH that did the fin rot. It may be the water is contaminated with some bacteria.

Yes, HITH is more serious and actually may also point to something in the water that causes both fin rot and HITH.

Maybe get a clean tank for QT and sanitize the existing tank with bleach or vinegar + sun-bath routine?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 
shellieca

Quote:
Frayed fins & fin rot are two different things. Without more info. it's hard to say what she needs to do at this point. The difference in Ph is quite large BUT if it stays a steady level the Betta should adjust.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #10 
Sakura8

The reason we were concerned with the pH is because he came from extremely low pH levels in Thailand and I thought perhaps the jump in 6.0 to 8.0 stressed him out to the point where his immune system may have crashed. Has anyone who has imported Thai bettas experienced a problem acclimating them to a higher pH?

Anhel, can you remind me what medicines he was treated with before?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote