Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 
Nook

Divided Tank Opinions Needed!

I currently have my Betta in a heated 1.5 gallon round tank/jar of sorts (I don't have any photos of it at the moment!) In there, I have a marimo moss ball, an Anubius plant, large gravel, and a little statue for decoration. I do water changes every few days, especially since the tank is a little more on the small side.
I would like to get a larger tank for my Betta boy, but I would also like to adopt another Betta! They are so addictive, and I've fallen in love with them. xD
Ideally, I would like to divide a larger tank so I could have the two boys in one tank. However since I will be living in a dorm room in a few months, I need to keep the tank below 10 gallons (it's a school rule), and I'd prefer it to be able to be unfiltered to avoid any noise disturbance to my roommate (I've discovered that even quiet filters can bother non-fish owners at night).
Is there anything smaller than a 10 gallon that I could use to divide the tank while still giving my Bettas enough room? Maybe a 5 gallon tank?
Also, when dividing the tank using a mesh divider, I do not have to purchase a second heater, correct?

Thanks ahead of time for the input! Feel free to suggest any tips for keeping fish in dorms if any of you have.
Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #2 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
I currently have my Betta in a heated 1.5 gallon round tank/jar of sorts (I don't have any photos of it at the moment!) In there, I have a marimo moss ball, an Anubius plant, large gravel, and a little statue for decoration. I do water changes every few days, especially since the tank is a little more on the small side.
I would like to get a larger tank for my Betta boy, but I would also like to adopt another Betta! They are so addictive, and I've fallen in love with them. xD
Ideally, I would like to divide a larger tank so I could have the two boys in one tank. However since I will be living in a dorm room in a few months, I need to keep the tank below 10 gallons (it's a school rule), and I'd prefer it to be able to be unfiltered to avoid any noise disturbance to my roommate (I've discovered that even quiet filters can bother non-fish owners at night).
Is there anything smaller than a 10 gallon that I could use to divide the tank while still giving my Bettas enough room? Maybe a 5 gallon tank?
Also, when dividing the tank using a mesh divider, I do not have to purchase a second heater, correct?

Thanks ahead of time for the input! Feel free to suggest any tips for keeping fish in dorms if any of you have.
I have 2 divided tanks. I made my own mesh dividers with stuff from the craft store. A 5 gallon is fine for 2 bettas when divided. I don't see why you would need 2 heaters? The divider should be mesh like and allow water to flow through both sides. Do you really think filters are that loud? As long as my tank water level is kept right my filters make no noise. When the water gets lower (due to evaporation) I hear water dripping, but that is it.

The way most heaters are designed, they require some water flow, which is created by the filter. An option is to put the heater horizontally in the tank without the water flow, but that's rather difficult to do or impossible in a tank that small.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 
Nook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
I have 2 divided tanks. I made my own mesh dividers with stuff from the craft store. A 5 gallon is fine for 2 bettas when divided. I don't see why you would need 2 heaters? The divider should be mesh like and allow water to flow through both sides. Do you really think filters are that loud? As long as my tank water level is kept right my filters make no noise. When the water gets lower (due to evaporation) I hear water dripping, but that is it.

The way most heaters are designed, they require some water flow, which is created by the filter. An option is to put the heater horizontally in the tank without the water flow, but that's rather difficult to do or impossible in a tank that small.
The only reason I ask about the heaters is because some sites have said that both sides require heating, but those people may have been using glass dividers. I do not find filters loud, as I stated in my original post, non-fish owners sometimes find them loud. I often have friends and family stay in my room while they visit, and even when the water level is high they complain. I have no idea if my future roommate is a light sleeper or not, and so I'd prefer to not have a filter to avoid having any future problems with my roommate.
I currently have a small heater in my 1.5g tank and it has worked perfectly fine.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 
Xeek

I just think without the filter you're missing part of the ecosystem for the tank to function in a healthy way. Most of the bacteria the tank needs is in the filter and having moving water in a tank helps the tank a lot. You may find yourself clearing something like thin sludge off the top of the water (protein maybe) without a filter.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #5 
Nook

While I do understand the benefits of having a filter, as I have one for my non-Betta tank, I have read from multiple sources that a filter is not necessary for Betta tanks. As stated, I perform water changes every few days. I have not run into any problems with the quality of water thus far.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Petco has a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. It's long, and would give each betta 3.3 gallons to swim in, as opposed to the 2.5 they would get from a 5 gallon. If you have a mesh divider, the heater should be able to heat both sides of the tank.

There are some filters you can buy that make no noise, or are really silent. The filter I have makes a little noise, but the one I had before was absolutely silent. All you could hear was the occasional water dripping if the water got too low or the flow slowed down a bit.

You will likely need a filter, especially if you want both sides of the tank to be heated equally. The filter will also help cycle the tank, which would make cleaning it easier. You would only need to do occasional 50% water changes once it's cycled.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #7 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Petco has a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. It's long, and would give each betta 3.3 gallons to swim in, as opposed to the 2.5 they would get from a 5 gallon. If you have a mesh divider, the heater should be able to heat both sides of the tank.

There are some filters you can buy that make no noise, or are really silent. The filter I have makes a little noise, but the one I had before was absolutely silent. All you could hear was the occasional water dripping if the water got too low or the flow slowed down a bit.

You will likely need a filter, especially if you want both sides of the tank to be heated equally. The filter will also help cycle the tank, which would make cleaning it easier. You would only need to do occasional 50% water changes once it's cycled.

I have this 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank that I divided. I keep the heater horizontal on the right side of the tank and that worked well. The filter/pump that comes with this tank is somewhat noisy though. It can be difficult to find plants for this tank as it is very short in height. I have more success with the bowed 5 gallon tank from petsmart. The filter is very quiet and I can more easily fit a heater and plants in this tank. Mainly because it's taller.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 
Nook

The 6.6 gallon tank sounds nice. I may have a spare 10 gallon laying around somewhere that I could use.
As for the filter, I could try and request a roommate who is a heavier sleeper, or one who doesn't mind the noise.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 
Fishybitty

You could do a 5 gallon. That would give them 2.5 on each side.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Or this, would give 2.75 each :)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #10 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook View Post
The 6.6 gallon tank sounds nice. I may have a spare 10 gallon laying around somewhere that I could use.
As for the filter, I could try and request a roommate who is a heavier sleeper, or one who doesn't mind the noise.
Thanks for the help!
I've retired this tank due to its height. It was too short for plants and came with a noisy filter. I wouldn't recommend this bookshelf tank. I was going to use it to breed some snowball shrimp, that would have been a good use of it since I was only going to put some moss in it.