Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #11 
VincentTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
My Anacharis in my big tank begs to differ It should be just fine. I actually just got a second one to put in too because the first was doing so well.
I do not have luck with Anacharis in my Betta tanks. They work fine in my Gold fish tank that does not have a heater. They would wither and break apart at high temperature. I wrote the comment so as to avoid the OP having the same problem I had, because I notice he has the Tetra heater in the tank. That heater is factory set to 78% with no chance of adjusting the temp.

Anacharis thrives up to 74 degree.

Last edited by VincentTH; 04-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #12 
Lonely Dragon

Thanks Shadyr. Yeah that tank is only a few pounds but once there's water in it, it's not moving. I gotta admit I'm impressed with how well we matched up that wood to the right color. I plan on just getting a betta but I would like a snail sometime too. (As long as fishy is nice)
Lonely Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #13 
Lonely Dragon

Well thank you for the tip Vincent. I guess I'll find out how it goes. Worst that'll happen is I gotta clean a tank and replace a plant. Finding decent plants was a pain though...
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #14 
Shadyr

How big is the tank? Snails are poo machines, fwiw. Of the history of snails I brought home, only one nerite is still around, well, him and some uninvited tiny pond or ramshorns that came in through some live plants.

I found any Anarachis that I put in the small unfiltered tanks did indeed disintegrate within a month. But the one in my filtered tank (which stays at 78F) has done just fine. Enough so that I bought a second, which is currently in the plant QT bowl for a couple more days.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #15 
Lonely Dragon

My tank is 5.5 gallons. And filtered. It's pretty much been staying at 78* even before I plugged in the heater. At least it did once it cooled of the 90* water I had filled it with...oops

And a nerite is the only snail I was thinking of since they stay small.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #16 
VincentTH

I always have an Apple Snail (a.k.a. Mystery Snail) from Petco / Petsmart per 10G tank. They clean the tank of algae, and each of my tank have at least 1 of them. They do have a heavy bio-load and require frequent syphoning out of their waste. That beats the uglyness of having algae everywhere in the tank!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #17 
Lonely Dragon

Yeah my tank's only half that size. I heard somewhere that nerites have a smaller bio load than mystery snails but I don't know if that's true or not. Also don't mystery snails eat live plants?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #18 
VincentTH

Some species of Apple snails eat the plants, not the mystery snails sold at Petco/Petsmart, at least those that I bought. Yes they do eat some plants, but only if your tank is too clean. Mine always have algae for them to eat, and they prefer the algae over the plants. They eat all sorts of algae, green, blue, brown, slime, you name it.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #19 
Lonely Dragon

Oh okay. Thank Vincent! I always thought mystery snails ate plants...all the time. We used to have 2 in our goldfish pond years ago, but they comitted suicide by climbing out and getting lost in our yard...

Oh, and by the way I'm a "she" not a "he". =) (Sorry, that was bothering me)
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #20 
bettacrazygirl86

I have two zebra nerite snails in my 10 gallon. I'm sure one or two nerite snails will be fine for your tank. My tank handles the bioload of two bettas and two snails with no problem. :)

Your tank looks really nice, and I'm sure your new fish will love it. I look forward to seeing pictures!
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank