Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1 
iambeetle

Question Suggestion for easy, off the shelve filter?

I am thinking to put together a glass tank that's about 2-5 gallon, and buy filter, heater, lights seperately. I will only have 1 betta fish and 1 live plant in the tank, with some gravels.

I am not looking into modding or making my own filter... I just want to get something that's easy to maintain and works well with betta...

I had a Fluval Spec II before and the flow is too strong, but doesn't seem like filtering much... I am a bit skeptic about the design... I could be wrong... but I'd like to try something different...

Suggestions please?

Thanks!!
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #2 
Naladari

Hydro Sponge Filter I is what I would use
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #3 
VincentTH

I prefer my sponge filter from AngelsPlus (www.angelsplus.com). You can order active sponges or plain ones. The active sponges may have some snails that take a free ride, however.

I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
VincentTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 
VJM

Azoo Palm. Totally silent.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #5 
kyle89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentTH View Post
I prefer my sponge filter from AngelsPlus (www.angelsplus.com). You can order active sponges or plain ones. The active sponges may have some snails that take a free ride, however.

I am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
Wow never saw a pretty cycled filer for sale before. Will keep them in mind down the road
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #6 
kyle89

But I have heard good reviews on the aqueon 10 and I have the tetra 10i an like it
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #7 
waterdog

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-F...item3a74e6231e

Sponge filters are easy to set up, easy to clean, work great.

Click the link in my signature to read more about them!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Yeah - sponge filter would be the easiest on the betta and cheapest to maintain in the long run. However if you want a HOB -try the Tetra 10i filter. it dosen't actually hang on the back, the whole thing goes into the tank. it's pretty quiet but you may need to do something to reduce the current from the outflow. I stuck a bunch of silk plants infront of the filter and stuck a peice of foam where the water flows out. Aqueon 10 is good too but I think the current produced would be too much for a 5G unless you baffle it. Again, I stuc foam at the outflow for mine. and put a oversized plant in front of it.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-12-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #9 
iambeetle

I have read the thread in Waterdog's signature, it says that the sponge filter is not for removing waste, but rather for building up bacteria... What about the removing waste part? I think that's what I am concern of... to keep water clean...
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #10 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeetle View Post
I have read the thread in Waterdog's signature, it says that the sponge filter is not for removing waste, but rather for building up bacteria... What about the removing waste part? I think that's what I am concern of... to keep water clean...
What I was saying is, it won't filter out heavy waste as fast as a powerhead. It will collect dirt. Just leave it in the tank for 3 weeks then squeeze it out in some used tank water and watch the junk that comes out of it! With once a week water changes your actually going to have better quality water!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote