Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #1 
kyle89

anyone added safestart mid cycle

I was wondering if anyone has ever added safestart during the nitrite part of the cylce? Did it help at all?
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has ever added safestart during the nitrite part of the cylce? Did it help at all?
I'm going to add it tomorrow. I've had my tank and fish up for 6 weeks with no nitrite readings, so i figured it can't hurt.
I'll let you know how it goes.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3 
ryancalif

I got pretty good results using Safestart. You really can't go wrong adding it at any point in the cycle. It's virtually fail-safe.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #4 
kyle89

Should water changes still be performed to keep nitrite levels down or will safestart detoxify them?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Should water changes still be performed to keep nitrite levels down or will safestart detoxify them?
Yes, I was wondering about this also. I think you are supposed to just lightly feed the fish for 14 days with no water changes.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #6 
ryancalif

Quote:
I believe the nitrospira bacteria are more prevalent in the safestart, as I had almost immediate nitrate readings. Nitrites were low (0-0.25ppm) for about 2-4 days, ammonia was around 0.25-0.5 for about the same duration, which means the nitrosomonas were a bit "understaffed".

To answer your quesiton though, you should definitely stay on top of your water changes, regardless of using safestart (in order to keep the ammonia level in check). I'd probably do 10-25% water changes every few days until the cycle stabilizes. I'd avoid changing more than 25% or you will risk crashing your cycle... it's VERY delicate, especially with smaller tanks (~5 gallons or smaller).

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-09-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #7 
kyle89

Large water changes is the only way to get the nitrite down and wouldn't it be pointless to add safestart if you are doing water changes. Your just removing the safe start?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #8 
ryancalif

Quote:
Large water changes is the only way to get the nitrite down and wouldn't it be pointless to add safestart if you are doing water changes. Your just removing the safe start?
The bottle says to wait about a week after adding, in order to allow the bacteria time to adhere to the substrate, decor, and filter media.

However, you'll want to keep an eye on ammonia levels during that time. If they get out of hand, you'll want to do a small water change to keep the fish safe, regardless of what the directions say (I suppose you could remove the fish too, and avoid changing the water). I didn't have problems with nitrites though when I used safestart, but ammonia was persistent at around 0.25-0.5 ppm.

Last edited by ryancalif; 04-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #9 
kyle89

I'm adding during a problem after a tank was cycled with high nitrites
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 
ryancalif

If your problem is high nitrites, and low to no ammonia (indicating your nitrosomona bacteria are already pretty strong), I would imagine you will see very good results after adding safestart. You should notice the nitrite levels drop significantly (and possibly go to zero) after only about a day or two.

The nitrospira are strong with this one!