Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1 
Jexx

My fish are trying to kill me

So as some of you know, My oldest boy Galileo is quite ill with infection of the tail. This has kept me quite on edge and worried. The good thing was that my other 2 fish are healthy. Tonight when doing dinner rounds, Esmeralda jumped out of her tank and landed under an ottoman. It took me 5 mins to get her back in the water because she kept jumping around away from me. When I got her back in the tank her right pectoral fin was stuck against her body and not moving. I was terrified. She looked fine other wise and didn't even have stress stripes from the whole ordeal. I gave her a few pieces of food and when she jumped for the food her pectoral started working again. She is just spooked now so I put a towel over her tank to keep it dark. I swear I am just shaking so hard. 10 mins previously I was thinking of going and getting her a snail since she has been missing Galileo. Now I don't know if I can handle it haha :(
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
So as some of you know, My oldest boy Galileo is quite ill with infection of the tail. This has kept me quite on edge and worried. The good thing was that my other 2 fish are healthy. Tonight when doing dinner rounds, Esmeralda jumped out of her tank and landed under an ottoman. It took me 5 mins to get her back in the water because she kept jumping around away from me. When I got her back in the tank her right pectoral fin was stuck against her body and not moving. I was terrified. She looked fine other wise and didn't even have stress stripes from the whole ordeal. I gave her a few pieces of food and when she jumped for the food her pectoral started working again. She is just spooked now so I put a towel over her tank to keep it dark. I swear I am just shaking so hard. 10 mins previously I was thinking of going and getting her a snail since she has been missing Galileo. Now I don't know if I can handle it haha :(
SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME!

Wookie my youngest and most powerful swimmer jumped from food, she even got a head start a few inches of water and I saw her coming! She jumped half a foot above the tank over and 5 feet down into a hard plastic bucket that was empty.

I found her and got her back in the tank as quick as I could. She spent maybe 2 or 3 minutes out of the water. They can breathe air so it wasn't as bad for her than other fish I imagine.

One of her pectoral fins was also clamped and she wouldn't use it. After a few hours she started using it again. I suppose maybe some pain or something was involved just like you hold you arm if you hurt it, you can still use your arm but you still hold it tight until the pain has subsided.

Months later she is still fine and very healthy. Still an olympic swimmer and jumper. I learned my lesson and I only drop food in when she's close to the surface so she doesn't have a chance to get a running start.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

LOL! I'm sure it was an ordeal at the time, but it does make for a good story. :) I'm glad that everyone is doing well or better!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Wow they are keeping on your toes! Could you put his sterilite container right next to her tank so they can see each other?

My fish Nano is a little jumpy when I get out food but I am trying to feed him at water level and discourage jumping even though it's cute because I am afraid he will leap past me or if he ends up in a divided tank jump a divider.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

How is Galileo?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 
Jexx

oh my gosh! Thank you for asking! you are too kind to remember! He is doing wonderfully. His tail is beautiful again! His colors are vibrant. He is back to being his fat self and flaring at Esmeralda. She struts her stuff for him all the time and is happy to have him back. Honestly, the day after I put him back in his home tank, he was back to being his old self again. He made a full recovery and then some!
Esmeralda was back to normal after her jumping episode very soon. She still jumps so I changed her lid from a glass lid to a hood with a little door that opens for feeding. now when she jumps she can't go anywhere.
Sesshomaru gave me a little scare recently. He disappeared for a few hours and I searched all over my house for him. He was actually stuck behind the sponge filter. squashed against the glass. He suffered some injuries and a torn caudal fin but he is doing well now too.
I don't want any more fish drama!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #7 
bannlow2471

Gosh, glad that everyone is doing well now!

I had a scare over the weekend with Bettina, my new little VT girl that about put me over the edge - she jumped out of her cup as I was doing tank maintenance, including a 75% water change. I kept checking on her as it was the first time I'd done a water change since I'd had her, and she seemed ok, then I walked out of the room for a second and she wasn't in the cup - was just laying on the table. She revived quickly when I put her back in the water, and I think she'll be just fine, but it was certainly a stress I didn't need as I was already dealing with Clementine's illness/blindness/? I'm very glad that she and all my other fish are healthy, as poor little Clementine finally passed in the night last night.

Glad all your little ones are well and healthy!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

I am glad to hear all is well. Some of my fish are sick I keeping my hopes up they get better.

As for jumping while doing tank maintanance. I've had that happen twice. I went to Dollar tree I found these plastic 1/2 quart jars that are crystal clear with screw on lids. I can get my fish to swim into them. The are comfortable while I am cleaning the tank and they can't get out.