Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #1 
Microwe

Our new friends!

Ok so here we go, we just got the Red Betta and we were told that is a female. The blue one we think was a male, can anyone confirm from these pics? Thanks! Oh their names per my daughter (4yo) are Billy - Blue and Betty - Red lol.

Microwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #2 
jeaninel

Hello,
Those are both male and should be kept in seperate tanks or they'll fight.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #3 
Microwe

AWESOME, I love it when a pet store that sells nothing but fish gives us the wrong stuff.......thanks.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #4 
okiemavis

Hah, I'm sorry but that's so obviously a male it's not even funny. Not that it should have been obvious to you, but someone who sees new bettas come through the store every day should really be able to tell that one.

I'd return it, complain loudly, and buy my next betta at a store with basic knowledge.

Also, a female and a male betta cannot be kept together in the same tank, as the male will harass and kill the female (although sometimes it's the other way around). You can keep a few females together but definitely no males allowed.

Just for reference: breeding bettas is a process of slowly introducing the female with a barrier so they cannot touch and then eventually putting them for a short period, as soon as they breed the female has to be removed. It's a tricky process and even when it does work the female usually ends up with some injuries.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #5 
Microwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Hah, I'm sorry but that's so obviously a male it's not even funny. Not that it should have been obvious to you, but someone who sees new bettas come through the store every day should really be able to tell that one.

I'd return it, complain loudly, and buy my next betta at a store with basic knowledge.

Also, a female and a male betta cannot be kept together in the same tank, as the male will harass and kill the female (although sometimes it's the other way around). You can keep a few females together but definitely no males allowed.

Just for reference: breeding bettas is a process of slowly introducing the female with a barrier so they cannot touch and then eventually putting them for a short period, as soon as they breed the female has to be removed. It's a tricky process and even when it does work the female usually ends up with some injuries.
Well yeah we will deff have to do that tomorrow, I already removed the new red one from the tank as he came 2nd. I will take him back and maybe get 1 or 2 compatable fish that you guys recommend on here to go with Billy! Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #6 
okiemavis

What is the size of your tank? Do you have a filter? Tankmates for bettas are tricky as some will be fine with other fish and some will kill everything. You'll need to be prepared to rehome any fish that don't work out.

I'll give you some more specific suggestions once I know what kind of tank we're working with.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #7 
Microwe

I believe we have a small 2.5 gallon tank. We have a small filter, a bell that has a big hole in it, 2 live plants and some rocks. And now just the blue betta is in there. Oh and as you can see in the pic a little snail friend just showed up the other day.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #8 
stephenmontero

with a 2.5 u really cant do much especially if that snail makes it to adulthood. but even with out the snail there isnt to much u can do with a 2.5 does that tank have a heater?
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #9 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microwe
I believe we have a small 2.5 gallon tank. We have a small filter, a bell that has a big hole in it, 2 live plants and some rocks. And now just the blue betta is in there. Oh and as you can see in the pic a little snail friend just showed up the other day.
No other fish in there but the male betta himself. The snail will be enough with him. Unless, of course, you want a bigger tank. :)

As asked, do you have a heater? This is the most important thing a betta needs besides water itself. These fish are tropical fish, and need a constant temperature of at least 78 degrees.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #10 
Ariel

I cant believe they lasted in a 2.5 tank together long enough to take a picture! It is amazing they are alive!
Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote