Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #1 
Chevko

Rethinking 10g

Okay, so I think I'm gonna leave out the betta for the 10g especially since we don't know if we're moving or not when our lease is up.

I'm still gonna have the 3-4 loaches, dunno exact number just yet - that'll be closer to the 20-21st. I still have Honey. I just want to do something other than a betta right now. I'm thinking maybe a couple of otos and something else. Honey's still growing strong and I really want her to have some buddies. She's the only one in a big Aqueon 10 right now :(

Would a small shoal of neons be alright with some orange pots for hides? I would think guppies, but... fry. Unless Honey or the loaches would nom fallen fry I don't think it'd be a good idea. And I know cories wouldn't be a good idea since I've already got some bottom-dwellers coming, I finally have that in my head.

Right now it's not planted but once we get it figured out what we're going to do with the lease I'll be shooting for getting the plants in it.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

there's a really easy solution for not having guppy fry... Bachelor tank!

I think Neons need more space than a 10 because of their activity level, and even if you DO go with male guppies or female guppies, you can only fit like 4-5 in there.

what about a nice shoal of pygmy cories? you can fit 6 in a 10
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Leaving the betta out will certainly open your options up a LOT. And really if you are that unsure about your future I would just wait on this tank until you have a little more certainty about your future.

As for the plants, honestly do those first if you plan to do them at all. Any fish you get will thank you for being in an established, planted tank. Add the plants, then stock the tank. You will have much less issues with cycle blips when you add new fish. And planting the tank will give you something to do while you think about stocking.

As for the fish, you could do neons, but they are so weak from disease and inbreeding. Glowlight tetra would work, too. Male guppies would work, and they wouldn't overload you with babies. Kuhlies don't eat babies. Or you could look for some of the small shoaling fish that easily fit in a tank like that such as the micro rasboras, BUT those guys will basically need a nicely planted aquarium to feel safe and not stress themselves to death.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #4 
Chevko

@Skye
I'm getting a bottom-dweller species already, otherwise believe me I'd be all over cories. I think with neons that was when I first got the inch/fish ratio... but even with Honey in mind at minimum I def need bigger than a 10. If I didn't have her, then they might be good.

@koimaiden
Yeah, I would love to get a betta, but I'm just getting super impatient on getting something going on with my tank since I was wanting to get the loaches before I got the betta so it'd be less stressful on the betta if it were the other way around. I just really want to get Honey a companion (or six) and we don't just yet have the space for another tank (but I swear I will make space somewhere if I get my mitts on another before this sale is up).

I'm figuring, with the NPT, that if we do move we've got some RUBs I could throw together for them while the plants settle if I have one NPT and one not.

My mom bought... three I think, one wound up forming without one eye but seems to be perfectly fine without it.. But what about cherry barbs? They are seriously pretty cool. The idea "fish" shape, imho, if you know what I mean. You think they would work just fine with the loaches, Honey and maybe a couple otos? Or would that be overstocked? I know my boyfriend was interested in Glofish, but I'm not sure if I want the danios (had good experience with them) or the tetras... What about the "new" ones? The ones with the stripey look to them, tetras? Or do male guppies fight amongst themselves?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I think the biggest problem you're going to run into is crampedness (it's late and I lack creativity right now lol). Cherry barbs are nice fish and would go great with loaches, but they are active. A 10 gal tank really isn't that large. That's the same problem with glowfish; they are really active fish. In a 10 gal you are limited to calm fish that stay small.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 
Chevko

Ahh, okay. I'll keep this in mind then. The ones my mom had were in a 10 with a mix/match of others (I'm trying to teach them about water changes and whatnot) and with their size it seemed like it'd be a good size for them...

I'm primarily looking for some mid-/upper-level fish and I'm not really sure what to look for. I definitely don't want to wander PetCo/-Smart for what would look nice and wind up with something utterly wrong. (As much as I would absolutely love to anyway - be a reason to definitely get another tank because I'm like that.)

Blaaaaaah. Mm. What if I got... 4 males, 2 females, fancy guppies? They would spawn, a little, but the fry would be eaten, yes? Or is it the females that eat the fry?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #7 
djembekah

I think in a planted tank, the loaches and snail and guppies woud be perfect. :)

Its a bummer that 10 gallons is in reality so small. 29 is small too! That's what my community is in. Seems like small fish shouldn't need so muh room. but i guess its like keeping a puppy in a closet. while he fits spacewise, he can't really do what he's meant to do.

good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #8 
Skyewillow

you want to keep your guppy ratio 2 females for every male. Males are very driven to reproduce, and even with our tank having 3 females per male, we've had males chase females to the point where they get sick and die from the stress.

Male guppies don't fight amongst themselves, females do though.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

It is a shame that places like Petco and Petsmart don't give more accurate information about their fish, but thankfully we have good online resources. This is one of my favorite places to look up information about fish. It is run by the same people who run this site, so it's very accurate. It always helps to double check before you buy.

It's starting to sound like a handful of male guppies will be your best choice, but that's not really a bad thing. Guppies are very pretty! If you're lucky your Petsmart should have a good selection of colors.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

Guppies are really a good bet on peaceful, beautiful fish for small spaces. Ours are pretty neat other than the fact that our males have a one track mind. You feed them, instead of eating, they use the distraction to their advantage with the girls! LOL

Tags
10g, tankmates