Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #11 
Chevko

@Skye
So that's the ratio it should be instead xD I always forget with guppies. What if I got a lot of hides for the fish? Would they get a breath in and a brief respite from the males? Or is it pheromone tracking with them?

@koimaiden
Ooh, thanks much!! I've got my first smartphone on the way so it'll be really handy if I happen to get indecisive on what I want to get.

What would be the max amount of guppies, you think, I could put in with the loaches and Honey? Female considered since they're supposed to be the larger half of the two. I've still got the same heater and filter. I just want to know about how much the limit would be so I don't send my tank into a death spiral, lol.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #12 
Skyewillow

They'll hunt them down. We added a ton of plants and they still don't catch much of a break!

But yea, 2 girls per guy. you could just do a trio, and feed babies to your betta. The parent's don't always eat the young... our tank a few months ago was a good example, we had over 150 babies. Our frogs were very happy for the next few days... lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #13 
Chevko

Thing though is that I'm not going to do the betta this time, Skye ;) Not unless it could happily live in a 1 1/4 gallon container with no filter and a Petsmart-carried betta heater. I've got that tall Utz container, but it's 14 inches to the very, very top of it. I think it might be about 4g, but not sure without empty milk jugs.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #14 
Skyewillow

our bettas are quite happy in 1.5's, as long as they're warm and clean, not everyone has the space for 2.5 each. (1 gal is the minimum requirement)

but if you don't have a way to get rid of babies, I would suggest a bachelor tank
Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #15 
WolfHhowling

I wouldn't go with the guppies. They don't do well with long fins, they like to nip betta's to death, if you decide to add one in later. It might not be such a good idea.

Neons are also very tasty snacks for betta's, angle fish, and anything that can fit it in there mouth.... which includes platies lol

I have danios and Cherry barbs. the Cherry barbs, don't like overly planted tanks, and some times don't even like being in schools. The two I had were sold to me cheaper because she couldn't keep them in with the others of there kind.
Danio's like schools of five or more, but play nice in groups of two. As long as one is female. ( not really good for a ten.... but it is there min requirement so says five cites I checked) danio's wouldn't be good in with long fins, they are nippers. Cherries seem to stick to themselves or harass the danio's

But that is just my experience with fish. You can get some Endlers they are like guppies but I think they have better color, and temperament. They are also very cheep at petco.
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #16 
Skyewillow

Endlers would be a good one.

Also, Bettas are more likely to attack the guppies than vice versa. Our guppies live happily with our sorority of girls, the bettas break up any territorial behavior from the guppies (How dare they have turf battles when my girls rule the roost?! lol).
Old 04-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #17 
Chevko

I thought that Endlers got a bit big?

But yeah, there's not going to be a betta in the 10. It'd get cramped fairly quickly with the loaches, Honey and anything else I threw in there.

I've had experience with danios, though I'm not too keen on getting any... We had some that lasted until the last which was about four years it feels like, but might be a bit less. (And somehow that one developed an odd hump to its back.)

Mm.. I'll see if I can drag my boyfriend out to PetCo today before work and see what we come up with. (And I might be getting another tank today, too :D No idea what size, other than bigger than 10 xD)
Old 04-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 
Chevko

WEEEELLLLLL

We got six male guppies, one under inch long oto and a 40 breeder. And some TetraColor flakes because I vaguely recognized the brand. And some more algae wafers. And a floating plant without a definitive name. The rep said it was like captain's beard. The plant is floating freely, the fish are floating in their bags, and I intend on going back for a buddy for my oto when they have more available.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #19 
Skyewillow

Sounds like a good setup so far!

We had Danios in our 30 gal... they were such a pain in the butt! They'd ram into all of the other fish, and our poor guppies were frazzled!

About 6 of our guppies are currently stalking me from their tank, they think they're starving to death, despite that I fed them an hour ago! lol They're friendly and will nibble on you and make a general nuisance of themselves when you're doing any maintenance that requires hands in their tank. ^_^
Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #20 
djembekah

40 breeder is a great size! You can do a lot more with that.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10g, tankmates