Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 
Kuunsilta

Question More water change questions froma newbe

Hi =)

You may or may not remember me - I got a little gal (Pearl) and a little guy (Mr. Grumpygills) beta a month or so ago.

My female is in a 3.5 gallon with a filter and a heater. I got the heater a few weeks ago due to recommendations here - it keeps the water at 81 degrees. I'm scared of shocking my girly so I usually grab her and some of her tank water and put her in a temp bowl while I change the water. She seems to get stressed out, so I'm wondering if you have any tips on how I can change the water with her in it?

I'm worried about shocking her, but I don't exactly have another heater to shove in the water pail I use to let the new water sit in and get to temp. Should I put hot water in the pail with a thermometer and just wait until it gets down to 81 degrees before introducing it to her tank?

Also, the water conditioner I bought is annoying to calculate how much to use. I was also wondering if it's possible to "over condition" their water?

Thanks for the help!
Kuunsilta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #2 
Kuunsilta

Oh yeah, I also got a water heater for my male who is temp in a 1.5L ( for another month until I find a job - I am in college) but I haven't used it because I'm worried about cooking him. The packaging said it was made for tanks under 5gallon but I'm also worried about the little buddy being too cold at room temp. Right now he's sitting at 65 degrees and I'm considering moving him to my bedroom where I keep it a bit warmer
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
mushumouse

65 is pretty cold! i used one of those small preset heaters in a 1.2 gallon when i first brought my fish home and it worked fine, because the water was already so cool. you're supposed to test heaters for a day before using them anyhow, so why not try filling a tub with 1.5 gallons of water, then running the heater in it for a day and watching the temperature?

i am also new to bettas, but when i change the water with my fish in it (usually a 50% change), i do basically what you described- fill a jug with too-warm water & put a thermometer in it so i can see when it's the right temperature to add- though that does take a little while. i pour the water over my hand so it doesn't disturb the tank as much. he seems fine with it that way, but if anyone else says differently you should listen to them, lol.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #4 
Kuunsilta

Yeah, it usually doesn't get that cold - I think it's just a chilly day today, so I'm thinking about bringing him in my room with me where I tend to keep it toasty. Unfortunately, you misread. I wish I had a 1.5gallon because it would be better than the 1.5L I have him in as a temp.
(( When I bought them together, the person at the shop said I could house males and females together, and as a gullible customer I believed them. I wasn't sure, so I googled it and came to this site which informed me the people at the shop are .... uneducated. So, being a broke student who went into this thinking betta were low maintenance fish and already spent a lot, I bought him a 14$ 1.5L to put him in until I get him a proper tank - soon I hope))

Since it's such a little thing ( bigger than the usual sad Betta bowl in shops, at least) I'm worried about cooking him even though the heater I got is made for < 5gallon tanks. I'm not even sure it'll fit because I bought a wide tank apposed to a tall one because I read that betta like wider tanks. Even my thermometer sits in it crooked =(
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #5 
Kuunsilta

Also, I just wanna say that if that picture is of your betta (s)he is so very beautiful!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #6 
mushumouse

ohh, i see. haha sorry, you had talked about the other tank in gallons so i just filled in the blank. well, i don't know what you have available where you live, but do you think you could maybe find a larger container while you wait? i'm also a college student so i completely understand. i got the first container i used from a thrift store, it was a fat glass vase for $3. again i don't know what resources you have, but i would suggest that if you can, really try to find something bigger to put him in just so you can heat it while you wait for the real container, even something like a bucket!

and thanks! :) yeah, that's my betta- he's a shy guy, lol.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #7 
fish keeper 2013

If you are only doing a partial water change you can leave the betta inside the tank. Just work around him/her. If you are doing a 100% water change you have to take him/her out (obviously). If you are doing a partial water change than I think it would be less stressful to just leave the betta in the tank. How do you change the water? Do you use a turkey baster? A gravel vac? If you are doing 100% change than acclimate your betta before you put him back (do the whole floating cup for temperature adjustment thing).

When I am doing PWCs I just use my hand to feel the water and judge the right temp. I guess a thermometer would be more accurate. With just feeling I can normally get it so a 50% water change drops the temperature 2 degrees F. A small drop in temperatur will simulate a cool rainfall and is sometimes used by breeders to incite breeding. If you wish you can use your way to minimize stress.

As for water conditioner, since you say it is a pain to measure I assume it is a very concentrated conditioner (1ml for every 10 gallons) all the things I put into my tank (1ml per 11 gallons-seachem flourish and 1ml per 10 gallon- seachem prime and top fin tap water decholrinator) it is at a rate of 2 drops per gallon. You can use that to calculate what you need if you have a different conditioner. Or you could search up the specific drop per gallon for your conditioner.

As for overdosing... It is not supposed to be dangerous but any chemicals added to the water will increase you water hardness. But you should be fine as long as you don't go overboard with it.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #8 
Kuunsilta

mushumouse - Yeah, I couldn't find anything at the dollar store. Someone here mentioned I could put him in something from there for a temp tank. Going there wasn't very helpful, so I think I'll just leave him in my room where it's warmer for now =)

Fish keeper 2013 - For my girl, I do 50's once a week since she has a filter. I try to do the little tank's more often. I just scoop out half the water with a thing I bought at the dollar store, then take out her fake plant and log to wash them off. I also turkey baste the rocks.

The conditioner I got came with a "betta kit for starters" that the nice lady at the pet store suggested I get. It's X amount of drops per ml ( I don't have it beside me right now and I would get up but my kitty is having a great nap on my lap - I am just warm blooded furniture but I don't have the heart to move her). I just figure out how many ml in a gallon and divide that by half - but I kind of just eyeball the amount of water I take out and put back in. I'm a worry wort and I just didn't want to put too much or little in =)

Thanks for your help =)