Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 
Kittiekins

New to planting live plants

My betta Fishie is sick):
And to make him better I went out and bought a new 10gal tank(much bigger then his current 1gal) new filter, new heater and new housing.
I wanna start putting in some plants once he gets healthier, and maybe a little snail friend. But i was wondering. What is the best kinda blanket to use? I want to cover the floors of the tank so it's like a field. I want something short to the ground but will cover completely. Any thoughts???? I was thinking a type of moss or something with leafs.
Kittiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #2 
Otterfun

I thought about carpeting the tank, but here's my dilemna: will it be hard to vacuum?

I think you need to think about your lighting situation and decide if carpet is for you since most of them need medium to bright light.
I heard that once you have java moss, it is hard to get rid of it from the tank.

Some carpet plants are: pygym chain swords (med light), dwarf hair grass, micro sword, dwarf baby tears, riccia fluitans.

You will need to find out if other plants are compatiable with you carpet plants in lighting needs, temperature needs, hardness and pH needs.

If you plan on having the tank at 80F, then the anacahris will melt. It functions better in low light and around 76-78F.

Some research link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...reshwater-fish

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.c..._Articles.html
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #3 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I thought about carpeting the tank, but here's my dilemna: will it be hard to vacuum?

I think you need to think about your lighting situation and decide if carpet is for you since most of them need medium to bright light.
I heard that once you have java moss, it is hard to get rid of it from the tank.

Some carpet plants are: pygym chain swords (med light), dwarf hair grass, micro sword, dwarf baby tears, riccia fluitans.

You will need to find out if other plants are compatiable with you carpet plants in lighting needs, temperature needs, hardness and pH needs.

If you plan on having the tank at 80F, then the anacahris will melt. It functions better in low light and around 76-78F.

Some research link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...reshwater-fish

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.c..._Articles.html
I really like the dwarf baby tears!ill be sure to look into them some more!
thanks for some examples
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hihi! before you rush off to buy plants, what kind of lighting do you have? This is a fairly important determining factor as to what can be grown in your tank ^_^ If you let me know what kind of lights you have for the tank I can suggest some compatible carpeting plants for you.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 
Kittiekins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hihi! before you rush off to buy plants, what kind of lighting do you have? This is a fairly important determining factor as to what can be grown in your tank ^_^ If you let me know what kind of lights you have for the tank I can suggest some compatible carpeting plants for you.
Well right now I'm in no rush. I'm gonna wait for Fishie(that is my bettas name) to get better.(:
So I can easily change lighting seeing how I need to buy new bulbs anyways!
My hood for the tank says 120 volt 50 watt 60hz.
I don't have any lights in it yet cause I got it off of craigslist and I wanna clean it first and the bulbs they gave me don't look to safe to use.