Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #1 
Briz

Purple Betta - Petco Rescue

Saw this guy looking pretty listless in his cup. He has beautiful purple fins, so I went ahead and grabbed him. He's the third LPS Betta I've gotten, and in the worse shape so far. I'll see if I can get him back to health, and I'd love to see what his prime colors are like.

Pictures with flash:

He seems to have some sort of swim bladder problem, or he's just really exhausted. I've seen him floating vertical head up when not awkwardly tilted like that. He's not interested in food, but that's almost to be expected.

I'm keeping him in my 1 gallon medicine tank with 50-90% water changes every day until he perks up. Using Stress Coat+ to condition water and adding AQ salt. Hopefully with his warm water and peaceful space he will start to feel better.

I'll keep the thread updated with his progress!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
Snoeflayke

Ooh, he's pretty! I hope he gets better soon!

Is he able to swim to the top okay? If not, you might want to lower the water level a bit...
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #3 
isochronism

He should develop some REALLY great color!! Good luck with him.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #4 
Briz

Yes, he can get to the top. He can swim when he wants to! I've got a Betta Hammock leaf near the top that he can use tonight if he wishes.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I have one that got better in 3 days like that that I saw at Petco. If he doesn't eat don't worry some of the problem is that he may have been overfed. Epsom salt is actually better if it's swim bladder problem. He's really pretty I've always wanted a purple fish.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 
Briz

I will try that tomorrow, thanks :)

Yeah, more reading on swim bladder shows that fasting is also a good thing, so we'll see!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #7 
Snoeflayke

I can't wait to see how he progresses! Keep us updated!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #8 
konstargirl

He's beautiful! He looks like my beloved Miyavi. <3 I wish his well.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #9 
Briz

Day 1

He survived the night, which is good, but he's been hanging vertical all day today. He has been in one corner for a while, then moved to another corner, against the thermometer. Not sure what to do for the guy besides let him rest!

Hopefully those aren't the "death bubbles" above him. He is NOT building a bubble nest. :(

Also, he looks really thin in that second photo, but his body is rounder/wider than his fins. It just looks weird in the photo.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 
Briz

Day 3
Good news everyone! He seems to be improving!

I had just finished putting his lid back on after doing a water change and peered inside to look him over. To my dismay, he was nowhere in the tank! Somehow I couldn't locate him in the small 1 gallon with no gravel and one decoration. I frantically checked the area around the tank to see if he had jumped out, but he wasn't around.

I peer back into the tank to try to explain how he could have vanished and what do I see peeking up at me?

He had backing himself into a small cave in the decoration, which was not its intended purpose but he must have wanted a cave. Silly Betta!

Peeking out more to see why I was freaking out.

His improvement thus far has been that he's been a little more active in the tank and staying less vertical. I still haven't seen any poop, but I managed to interest him in a NLS pellet!

Tags
petco, purple fish, rescue, rescue betta