Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
GaryJ73167

Damaged/Missing Neon Tail

I know this site is all about Betta's (Well, mostly) but, I feel comfortable here, and, I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I have 6 neons and a betta (SeaGate) in a 10 Gallon tank. Since the neons came into the picture, I noticed other neons picking at 1 particular neon. I have been watching my betta closely, and, honestly, he doesn't seem to be bothered by the neons 1 single bit. He'll chase one or 2 of them for about 3 seconds, but, then turn around and swim away.

However, the other neons keep (kept) nipping at this 1 neon, and, now, it appears as if the tail of the neon (being picked on) is gone. I am getting nervous now.

Below, you will see a video (not of the picking, but, the damaged tail) of the neon. I am sure this isn't "normal", but, wanted to get some opinions.

Note - My Betta (SeaGate) cant take it if he isn't getting 100% attention, so, he keeps cutting in front of the camera on me. it's actually kinda funny...lol :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pejGFsVGOoo

note 2 - toward the end of the video, SeaGate makes a liar out of me and kinda goes for the neon, but, quickly turns around. That's the most he ever does.

Any ideas?
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know a whole lot about neons (or anything for that matter) but in my sorority tank, if one girl was being constantly picked on and her tail was nearly gone, I would remove the girl being victimized. He or she will not be able to recover in the main tank if he's constantly being picked on.

I'm sorry I'm not of more help. As far as I know, neons are schooling fish and I have no idea why one would be constantly picked on by the others. But like I said, I know sororities and the girl being picked on most would usually be the weakest one. Sororities also, in a situation like this, do better with more girls to spread out aggression but I am also pretty sure neons are not aggressive fish so a sorority may not be the best example.

If nothing else, at least I'll bump this thread and maybe someone else who is more knowledgable will see it.

It may also help to post a thread on the main forum (tropicalfishkeeping.com). You log in with your username and password from here but that forum covers more fish species than just bettas.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #3 
GaryJ73167

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I don't know a whole lot about neons (or anything for that matter) but in my sorority tank, if one girl was being constantly picked on and her tail was nearly gone, I would remove the girl being victimized. He or she will not be able to recover in the main tank if he's constantly being picked on.

I'm sorry I'm not of more help. As far as I know, neons are schooling fish and I have no idea why one would be constantly picked on by the others. But like I said, I know sororities and the girl being picked on most would usually be the weakest one. Sororities also, in a situation like this, do better with more girls to spread out aggression but I am also pretty sure neons are not aggressive fish so a sorority may not be the best example.

If nothing else, at least I'll bump this thread and maybe someone else who is more knowledgable will see it.

It may also help to post a thread on the main forum (tropicalfishkeeping.com). You log in with your username and password from here but that forum covers more fish species than just bettas.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I am going to remove the neon being picked on until i find out what's going on. I hate the thought of he/she being terrorized like that
GaryJ73167 is offline   Reply With Quote