Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #11 
registereduser

This will probably become part of your family lore, something to tell her future boyfriends.

Um, I'd also hold off on getting her a kitten or puppy.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 
Artemis

Not sure if it's just me but I think that's a little to soon. I think fish can get depressed, they do feel pain which is likely why he is staying still, it may hurt to move.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #13 
Firefin

Bob was really hungry this morning :) When he saw me he seemed excited and swam around a bit. He literally attacked his food!
His sick tank is now at 82F and he seems to absolutely love it.

I'm not in a hurry to get another Betta, I don't like the idea of "replacing" a pet.
Btw, we do have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and then my different fish tanks. So no, no puppy or kittens for a long while either, even though my daughter is gentle with the dogs and cats. They are all rescue animals, and needed special care, and our daughter was actually always really great to give and help us give the animals a loving and good home. That's why I was so surprised, shocked and horrified about what she did.
A few factors came together, but bottom line is that she is only a 3 year old and still learning. But even she was very excited when she saw Bob swimming and eating. I hope and pray this was a "1 time, learn it" lesson for the whole family.
Firefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #14 
Firefin

I did wonder why the normal Melafix was 1% and the Betta Melafix is 0.2% Melaleuca oil, it makes sense now.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #15 
Viva

Sounds like you are doing everything you can, and if hes hungry that is a very good sign! I think he will pull through! He just needs some time.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #16 
Firefin

Smile Probably my last update, Thank you everyone

It's been over a week now since Bob got injured. He is really hungry and seems to enjoy his 2.5 gallon sick tank. In fact he seems to like is better than the divided 10 gallon he was in. I'm debating if I'll get a real hood for the tank so I could turn on a light to see him better.
He is doing really well which took a big part of the shock and stress off my shoulders :)
I don't think he is back to normal yet though, and that's ok, he can take as much time to totally heal as he needs. I held up a mirror to him, and he just stood very still. He used to almost try to jump at his image in the mirror.
He is swimming well again, and using all his fins, and body, and his body looks straight. He still prefers to stay close to the surface, but I'm impressed how much will to survive and personality he showed us within the last week. He really is a cute little guy :)
Thank you again for all your help and support! :)
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So happy to hear Bob is doing better, he sounds like and awesome little guy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #18 
HeroicPoison

Glad he is doing well!
He is a true fighter :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm glad he's doing well!

I wouldn't try to make him flare right now. If he has injuries that are healing, it would be better to just give him time. Making him flare could aggravate any injuries that are healing. It also causes a stress response, and the goal right now would be to reduce stress so his body can work on healing....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote