Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #1 
Darth

How to say "Betta"

Ok a lot of people are pronouncing this wrong, back in my IBC days if you pronounced this wrong you immediately were corrected.
So please stop saying BAY-Tah.
It is BET-Tah..
People are pronouncing this like Phi Beta Cappa.
Beta is one T..BETTA has 2, BET and then TAH.
A lot of people say that's just how we say it, ok, so if your name is Farnk its ok for me to call you Ted right?
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 
Darth

In case you wonder if Farnk is a typo, its not I have a Dane friend named Farnk...lol
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 
Catw0man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Ok a lot of people are pronouncing this wrong, back in my IBC days if you pronounced this wrong you immediately were corrected.
So please stop saying BAY-Tah.
It is BET-Tah..
People are pronouncing this like Phi Beta Cappa.
Beta is one T..BETTA has 2, BET and then TAH.
A lot of people say that's just how we say it, ok, so if your name is Farnk its ok for me to call you Ted right?
LOL....this made me laugh....waaaaayyyyyy back when I first got into betta fish (of course everyone called them "Siamese Fighting Fish" then....), I always pronounced the word "betta" the wrong way. Took forever to re-train myself! lol
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 
Darth

You would be surprised, even people that know better are saying, Bay-Tah.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #5 
KoriC

People who know better also say bedder instead of better. Language is really complex, Bayta is much smoother to say than Bet ta, it may or may not have something to do with it. I'm only speaking in really general terms though.

I say Bet ta myself, but I still much prefer the sound of Bayta.
KoriC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #6 
ZubinBetta

I always say /Bay-Tah/ in a perverse attempt to hear if I'll be called on it; so far nobody has corrected me. When I visited The Betta Shop in St. Pau., MN, however, I spoke softly to my friend who accompanied me and said, "/Bet-Tah/" instead. I went to a nice LFS here in Phoenix and saw there weren't any bettas, so I asked the proprietor, "Do you ever get in any /Bay-Tahs/?" And he said there were no "/Bay-Tahs/" that day. Perhaps we merely miscommunicated.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #7 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoriC View Post
People who know better also say bedder instead of better. Language is really complex, Bayta is much smoother to say than Bet ta, it may or may not have something to do with it. I'm only speaking in really general terms though.

I say Bet ta myself, but I still much prefer the sound of Bayta.
I agree.

I know full well it's said Bet- tah, but I say Bay-tah. I actually find it difficult to say it the proper way. I have studied many languages. Amongst them spanish, german, french, arabic, korean, japanese, as well as their corresponding writing systems. Also ancient mayan, hieratic, and egyptian hieroglyphics.

I WISH I could say that they all stuck... but I only speak fluent spanish and basic french now. I can still read korean and remember some hieroglyphs and very little arabic, but I do not speak any of the spoken languages.

I am also a former English Second Language teacher. I say all this because I can say, with a decent amount of experience for my age, that you can correct people all you want... but some people will just never say it the right way.

Look at it this way....

How do you say
"Water"
"Glove"
"Glass"???

Well... when I was in highschool, we had many students move to the farming area I lived in from Philly and NYC. They thought the way I said those words was just hilarious. The PROPER way to say "water" is Wah-ter. How do I say it? I'm from NEPA, I say wadder. Sorry... I do. I can't not say it like that.

I have tried time and time again to say it like Bet-tah.... but it just comes out very very forced. It may not be the proper way to say it, but you'll have to lump it in with the rest of the english language that changes pronunciation from area to area.

And yes... my name is Cassandra.... and I have always said it Cuh- SAN-druh
But many of my teachers in school, bosses in adulthood, and people I just meet say it "Cus-ON-druh"

Drove me nuts, but it was extremely common for people to say it both that way and what I saw as the "proper" way. Then I moved to latin america, and nobody there says the "A" in the way I say my name... so EVERYONE there called me "Cus-ON-druh".

Between that, and my extensive studies of languages, etymology, and having taught many people of various national origins the english language, I just learned that some words just do not have any 1 proper way. The Betta community may have a preferred pronunciation, but it is simply human nature to have varied pronunciations of the same word, and it does not make the person who says it one way any less ignorant or knowledgable on the topic than a person who says it a different way

If they know what the "proper" way to say it is, and they still say Bay-tah, let it be and accept it as them having been raised by different parents in a different area.

Last edited by JadeAngel; 04-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #8 
trilobite

I like the sound of bet ta best. Bay ta sounds weird to me, it reminds me of "beta", which is probably where the "bay ta" people got it from.
But in nz they are usually just called fighters it probably sounds like we are saying futas
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #9 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
I like the sound of bet ta best. Bay ta sounds weird to me, it reminds me of "beta", which is probably where the "bay ta" people got it from.
But in nz they are usually just called fighters it probably sounds like we are saying futas
One of my best friends, when living abroad, was from NZ. Not often... but every once in a while I'd have to have her spell out a word so I knew what on earth she was trying to say but, then again, the same can be said for my friend's brother. They're british, but his brother seemed to fancy the accent and slang more than he did. Sometimes I'd swear we were speaking 2 different languages, lol.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

I say it Bay-tah. Nobody around here would have a clue what on this green Earth I was talking about if I said bet-tah. Probably would think I was saying "Better". lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote