Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #11 
trilobite

Lol I had to explain words and slang to my american friends too haha apparently we speak in a slurred fast mumble. American accents sound so much better
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If I said it properly here no one would have a clue what I was talking about. So ignorant. And I have always wanted to know what a Canadian/American accent sounds like. To me, the Australian/NZ accent and their slang is hilarious in a awesome way. Lol.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #13 
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I say it Bay-tah. Nobody around here would have a clue what on this green Earth I was talking about if I said bet-tah. Probably would think I was saying "Better". lol
Well if they didn't know perhaps you could tell them that its the proper way to say Betta.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The people here are so ignorant they would not believe me at all. You should have seen it the time I told someone they need heaters.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #15 
ZubinBetta

By way of a slight detour, JadeAngel, I notice the question marks under the picture of one of your fishes (in the signature line) If you haven't already named your other betta, consider this: At Asian restaurants "sushi" is often served alongside an item called "sashimi" on the menu. "Sashimi" is thin-sliced raw fish. In the category of "sushi" are also "nigiri-zushi" and "maki-zushi." So all of these are potential betta names.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #16 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
If I said it properly here no one would have a clue what I was talking about. So ignorant. And I have always wanted to know what a Canadian/American accent sounds like. To me, the Australian/NZ accent and their slang is hilarious in a awesome way. Lol.
There are so many different accents from so many different places. Apparently, there is a "valley accent" here where I live. I'm not from this area, I'm from a farming area an hour's drive away. I've been told that we have a different accent where I grew up than they do here in "the valley". Honestly, I don't hear it (not even a difference in how they talk, except they have 1 or 2 different words. I think people sometimes don't understand the difference between slang and an accent.)

But I do know something. There is an area in Canada (I can't remember which province) Every once in a while I will meet a canadian who thinks I am canadian or who I thought was from my area, because we don't speak any differently at all (unless some slang is thrown in)

Anyway, ignorance is in not knowing that people feel "bet-tah" is the proper way to say it, but saying it differently regardless of that knowledge is not ignorant.

A good bit of the words we are all typing right now are said differently by each one of us. Not different only in the inflictions used in the word, but different in that many of us will actually leave out whole letters in the word (letters that are NOT meant to be silent) when speaking, or even say one letter as though it was another (for example, a lot of americans say many words with "t" in the center as "d" and british folk will say "er" like it's an "a" or "u"
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #17 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZubinBetta View Post
By way of a slight detour, JadeAngel, I notice the question marks under the picture of one of your fishes (in the signature line) If you haven't already named your other betta, consider this: At Asian restaurants "sushi" is often served alongside an item called "sashimi" on the menu. "Sashimi" is thin-sliced raw fish. In the category of "sushi" are also "nigiri-zushi" and "maki-zushi." So all of these are potential betta names.
I had thought of Sashimi as a name for my next betta... but for some reason the idea yucks me out? Maybe it's because the image of sashimi is unpleasant for me XD

But it's my hubby's betta, that's why the question marks. I would have named him already. My hubby said he will name him, but when he wants to
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #18 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Well if they didn't know perhaps you could tell them that its the proper way to say Betta.
compared to so many other issues that need to be addressed (nasty bowls that are way too small, not heated, sick fish, etc.) It's not my top priority to correct their grammar.

Sorry, pronunciation really isn't that big of a deal to me when you compare it to the rest that these fish go through.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #19 
Darth

Yeah, I just want folks to be aware of the right name.
I have told those folks at the pet stores many time even a small space heater or a heat mat would do the trick..deaf ears...
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #20 
Skyewillow

it'd be the same if you tried to correct their pronunciation too. lol

you forget, they work in a pet store, they know everything! -heavy sarcasm-
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote