Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #21 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I get that feeling exactly. One person, when I told her friend that they need a heater, told me "No they don't. I have one that lives on my counter.". I explained to her that I am a breeder and have over a dozen, told her that they are tropical fish, and finally I exclaimed "Bowls are for cereal!" Then walked away. I felt like saying "yup. You own one betta who you obviously don't take proper care of so naturally, you know everything.".

Rant over.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #22 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Yeah, I just want folks to be aware of the right name.
I have told those folks at the pet stores many time even a small space heater or a heat mat would do the trick..deaf ears...
Why don't you ask a moderator to make a NEW sticky thread about the proper pronunciation AND etymology of the word "Betta"? I would write it as a short, informative, and interesting article that focuses solely on facts

Though don't make this thread itself a sticky, as the original post came off as an attack like towards those of us who just don't say it the way you want).

Again though, if someone says it differently even when they know how it's intended to be said, don't get upset.... unless you want people to start picking apart your sentences and telling you just how many words you, yourself, do not pronounce properly lol

But I reiterate, it would be a good idea to ask a moderator to make a sticky about the pronunciation and history behind the word "Betta".

Oh, on another note... I HAVE seen a few petstore information booklets in front of the bettas that have the "correct" pronunciation in the information... along side pictures of bettas in tiny bowls..... so some of them have the information out there, but mixed with bad information too.
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #23 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I get that feeling exactly. One person, when I told her friend that they need a heater, told me "No they don't. I have one that lives on my counter.". I explained to her that I am a breeder and have over a dozen, told her that they are tropical fish, and finally I exclaimed "Bowls are for cereal!" Then walked away. I felt like saying "yup. You own one betta who you obviously don't take proper care of so naturally, you know everything.".

Rant over.
I'd be like "oh, that's awesome! I have a cousin who lives in a 4'x4' jail cell! I can totally arrange something like that for you, if all you want is to survive too, however pathetic that survival is!"

oh, and no, I don't realll have a cousin in jail, haha... but your friend doesn't know! or maybe... hehehe
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #24 
osromatra

I used to say BAY ta, but then I heard it was actually BETT-ah, so now that's what I say. I say BAY ta though, when I am asking people at pet stores or telling others about them. I figure it's my job to educate them on proper care and the joys of having them than giving them an etymology and phonics lesson.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #25 
Darth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeAngel View Post
Why don't you ask a moderator to make a NEW sticky thread about the proper pronunciation AND etymology of the word "Betta"? I would write it as a short, informative, and interesting article that focuses solely on facts

Though don't make this thread itself a sticky, as the original post came off as an attack like towards those of us who just don't say it the way you want).

Again though, if someone says it differently even when they know how it's intended to be said, don't get upset.... unless you want people to start picking apart your sentences and telling you just how many words you, yourself, do not pronounce properly lol

But I reiterate, it would be a good idea to ask a moderator to make a sticky about the pronunciation and history behind the word "Betta".

Oh, on another note... I HAVE seen a few petstore information booklets in front of the bettas that have the "correct" pronunciation in the information... along side pictures of bettas in tiny bowls..... so some of them have the information out there, but mixed with bad information too.
THIS WAS NOT an attack!! It was meant to let people know that to many its becoming a habit saying it wrong, as a Breeder and someone who has been around this craft for Many years, I am just letting people know how the word is meant to sound, I did not gain my knowledge from a pet store rather almost an apprenticeship by one of the greatest in this craft, Walt Maurus.
Walt is also an author who wrote many informative books on Bettas, and his friends were all the likes of the other greats of this craft..Gene Lucas, Jim Sonnier to name a couple so although there are other books out there, the good ones are written by those who know
And not one of those Breeders ever used the term Bay-Tah in fact they were in the habit of correcting people who used the term.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #26 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post

THIS WAS NOT an attack!! It was meant to let people know that to many its becoming a habit saying it wrong, as a Breeder and someone who has been around this craft for Many years, I am just letting people know how the word is meant to sound, I did not gain my knowledge from a pet store rather almost an apprenticeship by one of the greatest in this craft, Walt Maurus.
Walt is also an author who wrote many informative books on Bettas, and his friends were all the likes of the other greats of this craft..Gene Lucas, Jim Sonnier to name a couple so although there are other books out there, the good ones are written by those who know
And not one of those Breeders ever used the term Bay-Tah in fact they were in the habit of correcting people who used the term.
Your first post was rather agressive and gave off an extreme air or irritation towards people who say the word as "bayta". That's what I'm saying.

Well known breeders and authors may prefer the original, proper, or correct pronunciation. It is part of their pasion. I'm simply stating from a linguistics point of view, that if you tell people how it is "supposed" to be said, and they continue saying it differently... you have to come to the realization that people do not say every word of the language the same, like it or not. It may annoy you that people don't say it that way since it is a topic close to heart, but the quickest way to chase people away from a hobby is to become aggresive towards them in any aspect of that hobby, rather than calmly informing them of the fact.

Though your comparison of Farnk (interesting name btw) to ted was rather funny, as though we are calling them sword fish Since my name is mispronounced all the time, I was offering that up as a realistic and accurate comparison.

I think it's probably just best, after informing a person of the proper pronunciation, to just leave it be after that. It will only serve to agitate both yourself AND the people you are lecturing.

But like I said, I think if you wrote an informative post and asked a moderator to sticky it, that would allow everyone in the forum, now AND in the future to be told about the proper pronunciation.

Last edited by JadeAngel; 04-12-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #27 
Darth

Yes Jade I must agree with you perhaps it sounded aggressive, but was not meant that way..I am just a person that tells it like it is, but again perhaps you are right.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #28 
Skyewillow

I don't think it was aggressive at all, just blunt.

However, I would LOVE to know where the word itself came from to describe the betta fish. ^_^
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #29 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It seemed pretty aggressive to me, but we also have to realize that we are reading text on the Internet and things can sound very different then the person intended.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #30 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
It seemed pretty aggressive to me, but we also have to realize that we are reading text on the Internet and things can sound very different then the person intended.
Touché, lol.
which means both looking at it with different perspectives, and looking at your own typing to make sure it couldn't be taken in a way not intended. That's happened to me. If you ever read a post of mine, and then I suddenly edit it... it's because I realized in re-reading it that it didn't come off how I meant, or get the point across that I wanted it to (or that my keyboard is sticking keys again and my words are missing letters)

I guess you could say, just like some are sensitive about details of their hobby, I am sensitive about the lack of linguistic understanding. If it explains my perspective, the last sentence is what caught me as agressive, both for the exageration, and as I say exactly that..."that's just how we say it". Sorry, but since the whole topic is about the proper pronunciation of a word, it brings me to the topic of linguistics, rather than an established opinion.

But, as I keep insisting... if information is the goal, I vote to sticky an informative thread. I'm informed on it, but if you don't want to hear it said "bayta" best never skype with me There's a slew of words I don't say well enough to please an English scholar. But it's impossible to please everyone.

Know what though? This is driving me flipping crazy... I have GOT to know the etymology of this word now