Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #1 
EarthboundEquinox

Fish transformation. What color is he??

Hi again all,

I'm back with another color question! My Wal-Mart rescue, Taiyo, has been on a several month journey to recovery after experiencing horrible fin rot in his little plastic cup. I'm not really sure what drew me to him when I first picked him up, but he was tiny, pale, had very little finage. None-the-less, I brought him home, set him up in a vase with some driftwood and duckweed and daily water changes. He started to improve. The rot went away and he even started to show signs of regrowth. His yellow started to brighten up and a slight blue tint came in.

We upgraded to a 10 gallon, heated and filtered tank, divided among five boys. BAM what a difference! Taiyo's fins suddenly sprouted like a plant and I swear he gets darker every day. I've never really seen another betta with color like his.

Is he Pineapple? Some sort of Mustard Gas cross? Or just simply yellow and blue? Possible butterfly?

All I know is that I love going back and seeing the old pics of him and seeing where he is now. I can't wait to see how he'll look in a few more months!

This was Taiyo about a week or two after bringing him home. He already was coloring out, but you can still see some fin rot and all the damage.

This was Taiyo when first introduced to the tank. Not a lot of color change, but look at all that regrowth!

And this was Taiyo last night. Look at how dark he's gotten! And his fins are growing longer every week.

EarthboundEquinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #2 
Alyssalovesbettas

What a beauty! I'm so glad you rescued him! It always seems that the ones you rescue always have beautiful growth after getting a little TLC :)
Alyssalovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #3 
EarthboundEquinox

His is quickly becoming a favorite of mine in the tank. (But I love all my fish ^^ ) He just keeps getting more and more blue. I'm thinking his whole body might turn blue at this point.
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #4 
TheAnimaLover

fish are amazing after someone gives them proper care they become true jewels. Boy did that sound sugary
TheAnimaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #5 
blueridge

What a lucky wal-mart find! He looks like a Dt or a SDt. He also looks like a mustard gas to me. Hopefully lilnaugrim will come by with more info.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #6 
EarthboundEquinox

I love MG bettas. If he turns out to be an MG, I'll be the happiest fish mommy ever ;-;

I am so excited to watch him grow!
Old Today, 12:01 AM   #7 
briemonique

Did you use any sort of medicine on him for his fin regrowth or was it just 100% water changes daily?He's a beauty by the way <3
briemonique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #8 
Mercury

Wow, amazing turn around! Well done.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol! You guys know I can't resist color classifying fish, huh?

Sorry to say, he's not an MG, that requires a full black or blue body, yellow fins with a black/blue outlining band around all the fins.

He's really kind of a mutt, since his coloration has changed drastically and not just coloring up, I'm going to assume he's got a Marble gene in him but he's also a semi Pineapple so I'll call him a Pineapple Marble. Lol, so original! XD haha.

He's really beautiful though! I'm glad you took him on! He's really turning out great!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote