Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #1 
Tazo

Meet Orchid!

Hey everybody! It's been a long time since I've popped in around here, but I guess some of you might remember me and my betta, Indy. Unfortunately he passed away very suddenly a little more than a year ago, and I haven't had another fish since.

All that changed two weeks ago, when I got a call from a friend asking if I could take a betta. Apparently they were being used as table centerpieces for an event, a fairly sickening prospect. Between her, myself, and a couple of other folks they've all managed to find good homes, so the end result isn't so bad at all.

So that's how I ended up with my lovely boy, Orchid! Here he is the day I got him:

Note the clamped fins and such; he was very timid and scared at first. Also the tank isn't normally so bare! I was a bit worried about his health, so I kept him in hospital conditions for a few days. He soon showed me that my fears were unfounded.

One week later! He is a bubble nest making FIEND.

Yesterday! Note that the color difference is mostly because the tank light is actually on in that photograph haha.

Also yeah, I have no idea what's up with the shape of his anal fin. It's been like that since I got him (of course you can't really see it in the other pics... I didn't notice myself until he unclamped.) At first I thought he'd nipped it at some point, but now I'm wondering if it might just be like that.

Those are plastic plants in the tank with him. I realize it's not ideal, but they're all I had on hand. I haven't had any issues with them with him yet, but I am looking to replace them soon, preferably with real plants. I'd also like to upgrade him to at least a 5 gal, but it's a little out of my means for now, especially since I did just get him a new heater. The temps were dropping ~3 degrees at night and I wasn't really comfortable with that :/

He's an absolutely lovely fish. Such a big personality. He's on my nightstand and every morning he swims over to greet me (...well, mostly to be fed) and this morning he was flaring like crazy. Silly wiggle, I love him. I had my reservations about getting another fish... but man I don't regret this decision at all.
Tazo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #2 
selah

He is lovely..
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #3 
Cey

Lovely! So good of you to rescue him. That's awful to hear about them being used as centerpieces. He's very pretty.

Even though you want to upgrade him and can't yet, he's already in better hands with you. :) Good luck together!
Cey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #4 
Tazo

Thank you!

The tank he's in is 2.5 gal, so it's far from unacceptable, especially since I have the time to sink into the necessary water changes x.x So he'll definitely be well maintained until I can secure something larger.
Tazo is online now   Reply With Quote