Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #4871 
justmel

Love it! Great picture and beautfilu betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunki View Post
I don't know if this is the place to post this. But I finally caught Deans grumpy blue lips. :)
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #4872 
justmel

I'm still learning a lot, but is this a wild type betta? A mouth brooder, huh? How does that work? I would assume if he's got a mouth full of eggs he definitely does not eat until they hatch. It would drive me crazy not being able to see the bubble nest and check on the babies. Best of luck on his having some eggs in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Hmm I think someone may have a mouthful of eggs.

Hoping he does because that means there is a female in there with him!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #4873 
LittleBettaFish

He is something of an oddity. Rutilans mostly bubblenest but have been known to mouthbrood. My male has always held the eggs. However, he only does this for a couple of days (versus the couple of weeks a true mouthbrooder will hold for) and then spits the hatched fry up onto the roof of his hollow log.

He has always done this, and at two years I do not think he is ever going to change his stripes haha.

This is also a rutilans, but the standard form

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #4874 
justmel

Thank you LBF, I find all of this very interesting. Having this guy act differently must be interesting to watch.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #4875 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah when he first did it (this was my first pair of bettas ever), I thought he was sick and possibly dying. Then he came over and proudly showed me this one massive fry he was holding in his mouth. I still have that fry as well. He ate most of his siblings while growing up so was a very naughty boy.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #4876 
Goldie2nd

LittleBettaFish is great seeing your fish thanks for sharing, also great having you here also I'm in BS as FO23
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #4877 
Viola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
My darling Eridan looks so sad in his hospital tank, I want him to hurry up and get all better!

This is Karkat x3 it is super rare that he let me get a non-blurry picture of him xD

And this is Karkat's new neighbor, Gamzee.

0: Oh! I see a homestuck.
I feel conflicted. I think Gamzee is gorgeous. xD But Karkitty is my favorite~ ;33
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #4878 
Holzy

Hi people,

I'm relatively new to fish I've had one betta before, and just purchased my second after a year or so of being fishless.

This is my new little guy, Zazu

Holzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #4879 
Holzy

Happy to take any advice. I have a 9 litre tank, a small filter set as low as it'll go to keep the current down, a little heater keeping the water at 25C, keep a good eye on the Ph, change half the water mid-week and do a full change over the weekend.

I feed him pellets most days but every few days treat him to freeze-dried blood worms. I have a very soft pair of tweezers that I feed him one or two of the worms with to get him to jump and play a little. I'm going to try and hand-feed him and see how it goes, but hands seem to scare him at the moment. My last betta - Mushu - used to get very excited when hands were near the tank or in the water, but I was in a share-house with three other people then, and he learned to be social a bit more quickly. Maybe Zazu's just a little more shy personality than Mushu was, that's okay, he's beautiful I loves him.
Holzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #4880 
justmel

I can't see the picture of your Zazu. You will find that all bettas have different personalities. I have 16 in my home right now & none of them are the same. Some like to interact with us, some like the chance to flare at my other boys from time to time, and a couple just want left alone. Zazu may just be scared being in a new home, so you are doing great by taking things slowly with him and giving him a chance to get to know and trust you.

Tags
arteries;), betta pics!, glory werz here!:b, wonderful bettas