Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #4891 
justmel

I was finally able to get some decent pictures of my unclassified female betta. I don't even know where to start with what she might be. Do any of you have any clue?

Pandora -
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #4892 
Chard56

That big Green "girl" looks like a Male Plakat to me. I had one that looked almost identical to that one.
Chard56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #4893 
justmel

I have wondered Chard, I've seen pics of a lot of male PK's that made me think of Pandora. All 3 girls in the tank besides this one followed it around for a couple days when put in the tank. Pandora mostly ignored them, although (s)he nips at Amor when Amor gets to pushy. About 3 days after introducing Pandora to the sorority 2 of the other ladies had egg bands & my fiance said he saw the third drop & eat eggs. I unplugged the filter over night to see if a bubble nest would develop, but no go there. I've never seen a white eggs spot on Pandora either. I've never had a betta this big, is a 2" body normal if it is a male PK?

Not sure what to do if it's a male. The sorority has been together about 3wks now. If I take Pandora out I will likely have to take the sorority apart as it would leave three female. I have three more ladies being shipped, but they will have to QT when I get them. Everyone seems to get along fine, but I know that can change. What would you do? leave things as they are or seperate everyone until all my ladies (current & new) are ready for the sorority?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #4894 
Fenghuang

If you have three passive females and a tank with many hiding places and decorations and/or plants, you can probably leave them as they are for the time being. Just keep an eye on them. Pandora is definitely a plakat. I would say male because of the longer ventrals and the beard, but I'm not a hundred percent certain.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #4895 
percyfyshshelley

Oh dear I have two tht look similar and one flares quite a bit. I've been wondering if they were males. They still in QT st the moment. I'll post pix before I put them all together. Justmel, it's a pretty betta! I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation. I'd probably take everyone out if chard thinks its s male.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4896 
FishyFishy89

Females flare as well.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4897 
Chard56

Most males have a white double hump spot, where the females is single and sticks out more noticeably. The larger size and the shape of the finnage makes me think it may be a Petco "King" male. I've had several and for the most part the males are not as aggressive as some others. The one female "King" I found was overly aggressive. If there aren't any scales or chunks of fin missing use your own discretion. Adding more females will divide the aggression up among all of them. I have up to 2 or 3 hundred together some times. With that many it's hard to single one out to do any real damage to. The only thing I can suggest is to put the girls in after their QT when you have time to watch them to make sure they are getting along.
Chard56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #4898 
justmel

luckily, being at home all day I can sit & watch them for hours to make sure no harm comes to them. I have a window between my kitchen & living room where the sorority is placed, so it's always watched by someone. I think I will leave this guy in at least until the other girls are ready to join. And thank you again Chard, you have made me feel better about my suspicions with this betta.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4899 
homegrown terror

"she" is almost definitely a male plakat, possibly a king or fighter-line plakat.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #4900 
justmel

Thank you homegrown. Since that is what I though & the experts seem to agree I guess it is time to find Pandora a new name and a new home. Good thing I had planned to buy more tanks this weekend to divided up for my males!

Tags
arteries;), betta pics!, glory werz here!:b, wonderful bettas