Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Unhappy My lil guy tore his fin last night :(

I went down to turn on his light and give him breakfast, but the top end of his back tail was missing a piece and is all jagged :(

Is there any treatment needed for this?

Is there any potential infections I need to watch for?

Will it ever grow back?

I've been very careful about decorations that go in the tank so the only thing it could be it the filter intake... Any tips on how to make it safer so this doesn't happen again?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

It should grow back, but he may have bitten it. :( If he's biting, he may just be hungry or bored, or sometimes they just do it for no apparent reason. I've got two who do it...one bites his down to almost a nub just because he can and refuses to stop...and the other is a DT who bites it when it gets too long and heavy for him to swim easily. He's "trimming"... ;) I just wish he was a better barber... ;)

As for treatment, just keep his water really clean and watch for fin rot, you can feed him good quality/high protein food (this will help it grow back faster) and adding in some stress coat will help as well. :) I've seen some people rec attison's betta spa saying that helped their guys to grow in quickly as well. It can't hurt, and the IAL in it would maybe help prevent infection too. (But mostly just clean water, that'll help more than anything else. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote