Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #1 
jessp118

Lighting question

I have a 15 watt florescent light on a 10g tank. What level of lighting would that be considered? What easy plants can I have with this lighting?
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2 
bniebetta

Someone recently told me that it isn't the wattage you want to look at, it's the kelvins. I guess for a planted tank you want to be between 5000 and 8000 or something like that, I can't remember exactly. If it doesn't say the kelvins, you might consider it low light just to be safe. I have heard that anubias, anacharis, moss balls, wisteria are easy. I have all of them but I am new at planted tanks so all I can really tell you is that mine are still alive so far haha. I think the anacharis looks funny, but it is a good start. I have heard it is impossible to kill moss balls and they are fun so I recommend them. Have you thought about what you are going to use as substrate? Unless you are using an enriched substrate you may end up having to supplement with water column ferts or use root tabs.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #3 
jessp118

To be exact, I have a perfect-a-lamp F15T8 18in. I cant find any info on the kelvins for this light. I'll go with low light then. I have gravel and ill be using root tabs. if i see any problems then ill get a liquid fertilizer. I have a moss ball right now. I was looking for rooted or free floating.

Last edited by jessp118; 04-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #4 
bniebetta

I hate it when people dont list things like that. You could check a local pet store for bulbs, mine was 15 dollars for like 18000k until I can get a pro-grade one.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 
jessp118

I got two Anubis plants. The full name was not listed (plant in a tube). I'm attaching the pictures below. I looked at bulbs while i was at petco, the 18in ones i saw were 20$. That will be my next task.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #6 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
I have a 15 watt florescent light on a 10g tank. What level of lighting would that be considered? What easy plants can I have with this lighting?
There used to be an old rule of you needed 1watt per gallon at least to be considered low-med light. The new standard is PAR, but good luck measuring that.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
I got two Anubis plants. The full name was not listed (plant in a tube). I'm attaching the pictures below. I looked at bulbs while i was at petco, the 18in ones i saw were 20$. That will be my next task.
Anubis should be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. In a substrate like your that might work, but it's growth is dependent on it's rhizomes being able to get light.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
There used to be an old rule of you needed 1watt per gallon at least to be considered low-med light. The new standard is PAR, but good luck measuring that.
What is PAR?

To the OP: the Kelvins is the most important, but if you don't have enough wattage, it won't matter the K rating of your bulb.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #9 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
What is PAR?

To the OP: the Kelvins is the most important, but if you don't have enough wattage, it won't matter the K rating of your bulb.
PAR = photosynthetically active radiation

Watts per gallon (because of LEDs) is a done standard, but can stiull be used with non-LED lights for a best practice purpose.

Funny thing, with low light plants, I am actually not doing bad with an old school 20w T12 Plant light in a 30gal. But growth is limited.

Once you start crossing the line between med-high light, you start having algae headaches.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #10 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Anubis should be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. In a substrate like your that might work, but it's growth is dependent on it's rhizomes being able to get light.
the first one has the rhizome exposed. the other is a but more buried because the roots are short. I'll keep an eye on them and raise the rhizome of the second one out of the gravel.