Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 
Rilly10

Floating Plants

I am trying to decide on some floating plants for my two tanks. I have some Salvinia now in one, but would like something else. I have LED stock lights on both tanks (an Evolve 4 and a Spec V). Where do you guys get your floaters? I have been looking on Ebay and Aquabid but it seems like they quantities are all HUGE! Here are some I am considering, I would love to hear from any one who has any. Pics of them in your tank would be even better!

Dwarf Water Lettuce
Fairy Moss (Aka: Azolla)
Red Root Floater
Frogbit
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

I got most of my floaters from local aquarists...
If I had to list them from easiest to hardest to keep... it would be:

giant duckweed
duckweed
salvinia
hygroryza aristata (can get quite big)
waterlettuce
frogbit
azolla
red root floaters

however, that's from personal experience. ymmv ^_^
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #3 
Rilly10

So of course I like the hardest ones the best....go figure! LOL! So what make them hard...I really like the Red Root Floaters and the Azolla of course
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Actually my azolla thrives on neglect. however they dont do too well in current ^_^
I lost my azolla the first time round as I recieved it in pieces and the current killed it off
red root floaters are a little temperature/humidity fussy. For a floater...

Here's a pic of mine ^_^
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I really like Hornwort and Anacharis as floating plants and got some very nice ones from mikeswetpets on Aquabid . I also love his Banana plant but its not a floating plant you just drop it on and it sinks where you drop it, such a great plant I love mine ! Good luck I hope you find some nice plants . Almost forgot to add that the leaves on the Banana plant will grow up to the surface of the water in your tank and are very pretty with some reddish brown color to them and a lovely pattern on the leaves as well I will post a picture when I can get in my laptop cause I am posting on my phone right now.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 04-12-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: More information
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Here is the photo of one of the leaves on my Banana plant. I would not trade this plant for anything , so if you want a plant that has leaves that float on top of the water you will love it. My plant has 6 stems on it and all but 2 have reached the surface of the water. One of them on the bottom is even a purple reddish color, beautiful I can post it too but in this picture the leaf has not opened all the way yet. Also you can see in the second picture my floating Hornwort and Anacharis. Perseus has started making his bubble nest under the biggest leaf so he loves this plant too.
Attached Images

Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #7 
Rilly10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Actually my azolla thrives on neglect. however they dont do too well in current ^_^
I lost my azolla the first time round as I recieved it in pieces and the current killed it off
red root floaters are a little temperature/humidity fussy. For a floater...

Here's a pic of mine ^_^
Gosh that looks soooo pretty! Especially with the reds and greens! So do they like high humidity? Our house is really dry in the winter with the woodstove, but if I leave the lid on there is always condensation on it so maybe it would be ok? I may have to try some at least!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #8 
Rilly10

Purseusmom- That looks really pretty! I am gonna go lock it up now! :) Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 
mushumouse

i bought my frogbit off an ebay seller because none of the shops around me carry any floaters except duckweed right now. the quantities for frogbit on ebay are pretty reasonably small, usually i see it being sold in packages of 5, 10 or 20 plants.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #10 
bettaakapes

Hello! I get my floating plants from an aquarium in Chicago called ocean design aquarium. If you can get here its worth it. They have hornwort and ancharis as well as some Lilly pads and water lettuce. As well as duckweed. Depending on the quantity they will give it to you free or for under 5 dollars.
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote