Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #1 
Artemis

EMERGENCY Fungus on EYE

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not with a heater. THe lightbulb is really hot. With heater temps where going into the 85 range
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 temporary neon tetras (going into my sorority tomorrow)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day, one fast day a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week or so
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10% with gravel vac, rinse filter sponge
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 6-6.5
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? One eye got a whitish gray cottony fungus on it overnight and some grayish patches on his head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The patches are a few weeks old but I figured they were scars from when he had bashed himself into the filter chasing a pellet, the fungus on eye came overnight the morning before last
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 1/2 tablespoon of AQ salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? If so it was before I got him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? LPS fish. Maybe 6 months?

My Rossi is so friendly, I really don't want him to have to be put down or lose an eye. Please help/
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 
puplove52

can you show a pic?
puplove52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #3 
Artemis

Not really. My phone is dead and I lost the charger. It is a coating of whitish gray, you can't see the eye underneath except there is a sm all hole in the middle and a flap of the fungus sticking up. He is not dragon scale, this is not diamond eye. He is not marble it isn't color change. I just don't know how to treat it with it being on his eye.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #4 
Artemis

I got my phone but I can't post pics til tomorrow I think
Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 
Artemis

Here it is sorry for bad quality. The gray blob is his eye.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #6 
Jexx

maybe you should treat him with an anti fungal. like jungle fungal clear. Since it is his eye I personally wouldn't want to mess around with it and would go straight to medicating.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #7 
Artemis

We will be at PetCo for dog vaccines tomorrow. I'll get some then. What is best to get?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

2.5 gall usually difficult to cycle and a lot of people do not even recommending it. You should do 2-50% water changes if you have filter with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinsing weekly.And those recommendations usually for 2.5 gall tank with one fish ,you have 3 in there so i would do even more water changes.
How long you been using salt in his tank? You do not need to use it on regular basis it not prevent from parasites or any disease . You could try aquarium salt therapeutic dose which is 1-3tsp/gall with daily changes to treat fangus, but if you been using salt for long time his immune system probably already get used to it and it will not help.
If it fungus lower the temperature to 76* since fungus will thrive and multiply in the warmer water. May be turn the light off.
And wait on medications if it a few weeks old i would think it can be his slime coat from the scar.
And since you have 3 fish in the 2.5 gall you need a lot of more water changes. And i would not even cycle the tank i would do 2-50 and 1-100% water changes for one betta .
Watch him closely and i would buy medications just in case it is fungas, but hold on just to make sure it really fungus not slime coat. A lot of the time if it slime coat it will fall with water change. So i would really do 50% water change as soon as you can .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 04-13-2013 at 12:23 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #9 
Artemis

2.5 gall usually difficult to cycle and a lot of people do not even recommending it. You should do 2-50% water changes if you have filter with gravel vacuuming and filter media rinsing weekly.And those recommendations usually for 2.5 gall tank with one fish ,you have 3 in there so i would do even more water changes.

This tank has been cycled for weeks now, plenty of algae. The nitrates are at a nice reading of 10 before water changes. I do not see why you bring it up, it is not a problem. It is not difficult to do and it only took about a month of letting it be, no water changes, fish in cycle for it to get that way. Rossi has no ill effects and had no ill effects. I will get a lot of crud for this but it is what I did, what worked, and will work. I only change water to get rid of poo.

How long you been using salt in his tank? You do not need to use it on regular basis it not prevent from parasites or any disease . You could try aquarium salt therapeutic dose which is 1-3tsp/gall with daily changes to treat fangus, but if you been using salt for long time his immune system probably already get used to it and it will not help.

I know this. I put it in today. 1/2 tbsp like the package said to use. I know it (fungus + bacteria) develops immunity. I know you don't need it on a regular basis. I was not doing that.

If it fungus lower the temperature to 76* since fungus will thrive and multiply in the warmer water. May be turn the light off.

I will not leave a fish in total darkness. 3 fish in total darkness. The fungus thrives in warm water and so do the fish. Meds also work in warm water. If I use the meds there is no need for cold water.

And wait on medications if it a few weeks old i would think it can be his slime coat from the scar.

I will NOT wait. If you read my post you will have read that the gray patches are old but the fungus is not.

And since you have 3 fish in the 2.5 gall you need a lot of more water changes. And i would not even cycle the tank i would do 2-50 and 1-100% water changes for one betta .

I believe in cycling tanks. It creates less stress for the fish, a more natural habitat, less work for you, and looks better to me then sterile waters. Not to mention the tank has cycled already. The neons are also going into a 10 gal tomorrow

Watch him closely and i would buy medications just in case it is fungas, but hold on just to make sure it really fungus not slime coat. A lot of the time if it slime coat it will fall with water change. So i would really do 50% water change as soon as you can .

Slime coat should not come off with a water change. If it does you are doing something wrong. I know it's fungus as I said above.

What meds will treat this fastest? I also have a Nerite snail and Java Fern in there, should they be moved for treatment?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #10 
Artemis

Anyone