Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

Well i hope you get other experienced people help . Just want to say that
76* is not cold water at all -it perfect temperature for bettas. My bettas are really old from age 2 years old to 5 years old live in that temperature and some of them even lower temperature

1/2tbsp which is 3tsp/gall of aq salt the dose that on the package it not therapeutic dose -it just for preventative care. When you treat bettas with aq salt you need 1-3tsp/gall . Usually when you do aq salt you qt fish in smaller container and do daily 100% water changes. I believe in cycled tank you can just do 50% daily water changes. As you probably know you can use salt up to 14days.

But you other fish might not tolerant to that dosage .
I hope it not fungus because if it true fungus will progress fast and you really need to treat him , you right not to wait. But if it not water issue then why he would have fungus .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #12 
Artemis

The fungus is going down!! Should I just keep up with the salt or add more or get meds?

I don't know why he would get it. I know that he did and I know that it is going down. If I turn off the light it goes down to about 70. Finn likes the cooler temps but Rossi does not. Even at the low dose it is going down/

Last edited by Artemis; 04-13-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

keep with water changes of course it always helps. So sorry i did mistake i meant that 1-3 tsp/gall is the right dose. So 1/2tbsp=3tsp/gall which is good dose (per gall) But if you put in the tank just 1/2 tbs for 2.5 gall which is 1tsp per gall is fine but for fungus i would use 3tsp/gall. But again your other fish can not tolerate this much salt
If you able to separate him from other fish i would do daily water changes with salt .Which is 100% daily water changes. Of course you need to acclimate him right . If you keep him in your cycle tank with out other fish you can do 50% daily water changes , adding salt each time when you replace the water.
If you keep them all in one tank the more water changes the better it is..

And just for the future i want to give you the link , i would really recommend to check it out
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep up the salt and nothing else if it is working. I have to agree with ANHEL123 here, and I don't know why you resist advice so much. I would say that it is probably the stress caused by being in such a small tank with not enough water changes along with two other fish and an unstable temperature that caused it.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #15 
Artemis

I am not trying to resist advice. I would have gotten meds today if the salt didn't work but I didn't agree with what s/he was saying. I had cycled the tank and keeping the levels in check. I didn't see why they were insistent on 50-100% changes when the levels are in check. The salt was right level and working but I needed to add more and use it up for no reason. If I turned off the light the temps would drop to the high 60's and that would not be good and cause even more stress. The tank was cycled and I stated such yet they said I should not cycle it inferring that I should restart.

I also believe that if temps vary by 2-6 degrees night to day, it creates a healthier environment though I understand some don't see it that way. He has been like this for months, 1 with the neons and I know that if it were stress, it would have cause the fungus earlier.

I don't know how it caused it but I am not looking for ridicule I am looking for advice, if you will not give me that, please don't respond.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm not ridiculing. I'm trying to help. Remember that there are things besides the levels that you test for in the water. There are dissolved solids, etc. Temperature swings are not good. Remember that in the wild, these fish live in large bodies of water that hold the heat all night.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #17 
Artemis

I know about dissolved solids and no matter how large the body of water, the temps will change at night as well as throughout the year in some areas.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

sorry guys it my fault i just don't believe in cycling for small tanks, i think betta will get sick sooner or later . Sorry again. I just have such good experience with those 50 and 100% water changes with my bettas -That is why i always recommend it. But if you will check the link i gave you it will help you to understand what water changes you need to do for your tank with one betta. The advice from very knowledgeable person Oldfishlady who treated bettas all her life.
I hope your betta will get better and definitely separate them as soon as you can. It obvious 2.5 gall only for betta. In cycled tank you can keep 50% water changes daily . You really can use 3tsp/gall of the salt. Rinse the filter media. And at the end of the salt treatment that most people will recommend for minimum of 10 days. If you started him on the treatment finish whole course of it. But again i don't understand how you can do the salt with other fish. I know bettas are most tolerable and beneficial from that but not other fish , it can harm them.
Also if you going to continue the salt treatment At the end of the salt treatment, you will need to do another 50% change and not add salt. The next few days, you need to keep doing 50% changes without adding salt until the salt is completely removed.
If you really think it true fungus white fluffy,cottony like patches and it not slime coat , and if salt will not help in 4-5 days or if he is getting worse you really need medications.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #19 
Artemis

Salt works for many fish. I don't know how it effects tetras but it also works for goldfish and most fish with scales.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The changes are much, much less drastic in a large body of water... Like 1-2 degrees. Why do you thing it is healthy when it is proven to cause stress? I'm going to stop commenting on this thread because while we give you well meant and factually supported advice, you turn us away and tell us that we are wrong. I don't know why you asked in the first place.