Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #21 
Lotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The changes are much, much less drastic in a large body of water... Like 1-2 degrees. Why do you thing it is healthy when it is proven to cause stress? I'm going to stop commenting on this thread because while we give you well meant and factually supported advice, you turn us away and tell us that we are wrong. I don't know why you asked in the first place.
This ^
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #22 
Artemis

I asked for help because I needed it. The temps don't vary by much. It only drops to around 77-78* instead of 80. I allow them to vary because it is more natural. It is healthier and it does not stress my fish. I only say it is healthier because Rossi had been in a tank with stability and was fine but when I removed the heater due to higher temps and fluctuations started, his color blossomed. His color has dwindled with the fungus and lighting being a bit different so the light doesn't hit it right but I have had better experience with bettas with fluctuating temps.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #23 
Artemis

The fungus was almost gone for a while but has come back again. I added a bit more salt but I'm going to get him into a 1 gal quarantine to do a better treatment, what should I do?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

You need to use salt for 10 days minimum. You can use it up to 14 days. Sorry i don't remember how much salt you was adding. Try to do 3tsp/gall , daily water changes for the full course of 14 days . But if salt not helping after 4 days you need to use medications. You know usually if it really fungus, it usually spread fast and fish get very sick and lethargic. You fish has it for more than 5 days and it on and off. I know you saying that you are sure that it fungus but since he had scar i still think it can be slime coat especially , as i remember correctly the fungus on the same spot as the scar was? Is it on the same spot where he had that scar or it spread on his body?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #25 
Artemis

No. The scar is on top of his head. The fungus is on his eye. He is pretty lethargic and not acting like he normally does. The salt was the dose on the back. Once he is in the tank, he's still acclimating, I didn't want the slat to fresh change to be too bad, I'll add in Jungle Fungus Clear. Will that work?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #26 
Artemis

Rossi died. He flopped on the floor during acclimation and got pretty scraped up and died. We might get one tomorrow but IDK. I'm really torn up about this.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

So sorry, i had the same accident long time ago but my fish survived though. Do not put fish in the same tank, disinfect everything. I feel bad it not your fault,don't beat yourself up you tried to help him :(
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #28 
Artemis

I don't think he was contagious. Wouldn't the neon tetras have gotten something? Also he had a "suspicious spot" on his dorsal when we got him but it healed up. It looked a lot like what he had on his eye though. It just came to me that they were likely connected. My plan for the tanks are as follows:

3 50% changes on he sorority and his 2.5 to get out salt.
Neon tetras moved to sorority.
Move Dominic from 1 gal to the 2.5 (he has GIANT fins)
Get another male today/tomorrow for 1 gal (not a rescue likely, looking for looks on this one not condition)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

Still not sure what he had. If it true fungus then other fish would get it . I kind of always afraid and i like to disinfect everything before i put another fish in there.

Yes you can do a few back to back 50% water changes to get out the salt for your neon tetras

3-50% water changes with gravel vacuuming , and filter media rinsing good idea for your sorority. Remind how big is the tank for sorority.

2.5 gall you also cycling right?

Oh be careful with another betta. You right not rescue one just make sure it healthy . Because the healthy one that we leave on the shelf will get sick later. So i know we feel bad about sick ones , but then think about healthy ones.

Sometimes you can have sick one even if they look healthy. I don't know i kind of lucky with that. But i bought so many bettas for other people so i kind of trust myself when i pick the betta. Or may be i just lucky.