Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 
veggiegirl

I know I shouldn't have.......but.......I did

Hey fellow betta lovers,

Somehow in the past two days I ended up bringing home six new bettas. Three of them were Thailand Imports and were planned purchases but the other three were impulse buys that perhaps were not the best idea.....

My Imports arrived a few days earlier than expected as they were shipped on Thursday instead of Monday which was when I was expecting them to be. I obviously couldn't wait for them to arrive so it was sort of a nice surprise but their tank wasn't ready as I wasn't expecting them so soon. All arrived happy and healthy.

The Imports are

1 Platinum white Halfmoon Plakat Elephant Ears Male
1 Platinum white Halfmoon Plakat Elephant Ears Female
1 Platinum Orange Halfmoon Plakat Dragon Male

The day before picking up the imports I had to go into a LFS to get a new heater as the one I have suddenly stopped working. I avoid going into this particular LFS whenever I can because I cannot stand the way that they treat their bettas. I have put a few posts up in the past on here when I had observed truly horrific treatment of their bettas. Trouble is they are the only local LFS that has the particular brand of heater that I prefer.

Anyway I couldn't help but glance towards the betta tanks in a hope that some how their care may have improved. I was disgusted to find that they looked even worse. The petshops bettas had an outbreak of velvet disease a couple of months ago and despite my desperate attemps to get them to treat their bettas and sterilize their tanks they continue to just dump the old water and refill without steralizing them and they refuse to medicate their bettas. As a result every batch of bettas they have had over the past maybe three months has had large fatalities from velvet with all of the fish suffering from it because the parasite has become so established. Their were two dead fancy bettas in their "display" tank and the entire batch was infected. I should have walked away but something made me go round the other side and look at the veiltails and crowntails. No Idea why I did because I generally stick to HM and HM plakats and some DT but something drew me to the crowntails. I could hardly believe it but they had really unusually coloured ones and the three nicest coloured ones were the sickest.

I had promised myself over and over again that I would not bring home any more sick bettas incase it spread to the 16 healthy ones but I ended up walking out of the shop with the three crowntails......... now in clean and heated water they are looking much better and have actually began to eat again. I cannot bring myself to regret buying them but I am terribly worried that I might spread it to the others.

The three crowntails and the three imports are each in 1.3 litre jars that are sitting in a plastic crate so that I can heat them. I know they are way too small but it was the most I could afford on temporary tanks that I may never use again. I have a betta barrack tank that holds 10 bettas and each compartment holds about 2.5 gallons. If the imports had arrived on time they would have gone straight in but the silicone still smells a bit so I wanted to let it air out for a few days more. Eventually all the bettas will go into this barrack tank. The imports should be in it within a few days but the crowntails will be treated and in qaurenteen (excuse spelling) for some time. While they are in the jars they are receiving 100% water changes daily. Not the ideal set up I know but at least they are warm and have clean water. Anyways to pictures...........let me know what you think! and if you have any name suggestions I am all ears!

Name:  DSCF2624copy.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2646copy.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2656copy.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2674copy.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  DSCF2675copy.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2680copy.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2685copy.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  DSCF2691copy.jpg
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  DSCF2697copy.jpg
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  DSCF2698copy.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 
artes

Wow. Those crowntails are gorgeous. I would have had to snag them too.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

I know I couldn't believe that they had such great colours!!!!!!! There were a couple of other nice ones too I really would have liked them but I have limited space and I felt that three sick fish were enough for one day I already had two sick ones at home that have been fighting some mystery disease since I bought them three months ago. They don't look too bad in the photos cause I showed them a nice female and they perked up but they were so bad when I bought them home. The copper was only slightly ill but the other two I thought might die within a day or so however treatment, clean water and a heated tank is doing wonders
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #4 
Kyurem150

Those CT and imported ones are so gorgeous!! Congratz!
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
veggiegirl

Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 
mushumouse

oh my gosh, they're all beautiful! i've never seen a crowntail anything like that grey one before. :o
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #7 
veggiegirl

Do you mean the second crowntail? if so he is a copper. His body has a cool green tinge while his fins look purplish. He is quite small but is young so should grow.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #8 
majesticstorm

They are all so gorgeous! And the colors on those crowntails, wow! I wouldn't have believed it if you told me you got them from a petstore.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #9 
trilobite

Omg that orange dragon! Im in love with him! Another good reason to move to oz haha
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Was that orange HMPK male and the dumbo pair from Jodi-Lea's channel? They look familiar.

The first CT is an unusual colour. They are all too nice to be left to sit and rot on a fish store shelf.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote