Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #1 
WolfHhowling

Red face I think I might end up the crazy fish lady

My mom just got a lovely male betta from petco, its a denim blue with white, and black. He looks like faded jeans all most. Its Gorgeous, coloring on the double tail full frill. I will half to see about sneaking in her house to take a pick just to show how much of a good find this fish was.

But now its got grandma wanting a Betta. Currently I can't put a betta in my tank. Because I have gouramis and she wants angle fish. I don't know about the angle fish and a betta and don't want to try it. Gouramis are a lot like a betta, they are even in the same family, and breed the same way. They even fight to the death. ( save you can actually put more then one male in a tank provided you have plenty of girls to keep them placid.)

My dwarf Gourami's would kill the betta or vise versa. I have a ten gallon, but that is my breeder sick bay tank.

I have kept them pretty happy in a bowl... a large bowl... with a plant ( upgrading plant to live since my water sprite and hornwort likes to make me the proud owner of baby plants), The apt we live in never drops below 70 and the lights he would be under would keep the temp around that any way. So ya. Not to mention, I clean a betta's bowl every week, fresh water the hole 9 yards.

This really has just ended up a rant really lol

Any way. So I do have everything I need to keep fishy happy. The problem is and quite frankly... ware in heck am I going to put this fish?

Don't say you can stick it in the living room.... The 34 gallon is there.
Don't say my bed room, that needs clean and she would want to watch the betta so thats out.
Can't stick it in her room, not enough light.
Kitchen is not the best place for a good fishy.
Don't say my nice pretty walk in closet.... I all ready have a ten gallon running in there.

So I guess there goes the coffee table or a endtable.... I know i am going to get stuck caring for the fish too.

Oh well, I will let her stew on it for a while. If she decides on getting one.

Well I know what I will be doing for a few hours.

Scalding to death a Large Vase, rinsing off live plants... washing gravel... and fighting over what to name the poor thing.

Oh well, whats a fish hobby with out a Betta at least someware in your home?
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 
bettaakapes

Buy a critter keeper a desk lamp and make your own filter. Make sure you have live plants if you don't get a filter
bettaakapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

How dark is her bedroom exactly? Bettas are low light fish, and as long as it's not constantly pitch dark, a betta would be comfortable in dim light. If it's too dark, they do make light fixtures for kritter keepers. They're not great, but they work (for the most part), or the desk lamp idea will work. I found a bunch of clip on LED fixtures (with a plug, otherwise you'd eat through batteries every other day) for 99 cents on eBay just this morning when I was looking. Free shipping too.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #4 
isochronism

You, Momma, and Grandma make three generations of (crazy, your term not mine) Betta ladies. NICE :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #5 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaakapes View Post
Buy a critter keeper a desk lamp and make your own filter. Make sure you have live plants if you don't get a filter
I have live plants... tones of them. Lots and lots of Hornwort and watersprite to make any betta happy. I have the old fishy tanks from all ten or so of my betta's who lived long lives for being Walmart poorly kept betta's.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaakapes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
How dark is her bedroom exactly? Bettas are low light fish, and as long as it's not constantly pitch dark, a betta would be comfortable in dim light. If it's too dark, they do make light fixtures for kritter keepers. They're not great, but they work (for the most part), or the desk lamp idea will work. I found a bunch of clip on LED fixtures (with a plug, otherwise you'd eat through batteries every other day) for 99 cents on eBay just this morning when I was looking. Free shipping too.
I have live plants, like a 75 gallon fish tank has live plants....... My water sprite and hornwort, are under water weeds that are worse then ragweed in my opinion. I love them to peaces for it.

I also do have all the tanks my other betta's were in. I have a lamp, that will also heat the water nicely too. So the heater in there with him, would kinda be over doing it lol. ( kept my longest living betta this way.)

I just found space for the little guy in my living room. That is a plus in a half.

Shes sitting on the fence on whether or not she wants one. So Its better safe then sorry speculating now.

Me, If I had the funding and moved into a large house.... I would buy a 75 gallon tank, move the fish I have all ready to it... and name the betta Lord and master over my 34 gallon.

Then when any fry from my swords or platies got big enough put them in with him, till they're ready to be sold.

but then again, If I had the funds, I would own and breed the fish for my own Aquarium store. My home would also be covered in fish tanks... With betta's at least in every room.

But I don't... there for, I can dream.

Crazy fish lady should be a term. Love my little fishy friends.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 
quietlythundering

I'm sorry to say (lol nope not in the least!!!!!) that if you've made it here, you're doomed. Welcome to the school XD
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #8 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
I'm sorry to say (lol nope not in the least!!!!!) that if you've made it here, you're doomed. Welcome to the school XD
YAY! Dances! People who get that one is just not enough.

I have a bit of an obsession with fish.... I have had fish since I was two months old. So I come from a long line of Fishy people lol

Gram also said she was getting a Darn Betta if she finds one pretty enough, and going to get it its own five gallon. ( ware it likely have a cory cat and/or platy for a friend lol)
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #9 
majesticstorm

Bwahahaha, don't worry about it! :D As quietlythundering said, people who are on this forum pretty much will become the crazy fish lady/man :) Sorry to say, all we'll do is fuel the inevitable.

My friends officially believe that I will be a crazy fish lady in the near future when I said that I would love to live in a single apartment and fill it with fish, including a 30 gallon sorority. Their eyes popped out and their jaws were hanging XD
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote