Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #1 
Mar

Angry what can i do?

i apologize in advance for my rant. If rants annoy you, please ignore this post and skip the rude comments.

I love rescuing fish and watching them heal, however what can I Do when I see bettas being mistreated in my own house??

My mom owns a 10gal tank with 3 female bettas, only 2 Cory catfish, Six or seven neon tetras (several have died) and one male Betta!! Not only is she totally over stocking, but she has no clue about the nitrogen cycle and doesn't listen to me. She doesn't do any 50% changes as often as she should. Her fish (tetras) have already started dying. And putting 3 female bettas and 1 male betta together is a disaster waiting to happen.

So far, the bettas have gotten along. The male usually hides all day and I rarely see him. But im just waiting for the inevitable to happen, and I honestly feel bettas will follow the tetra's lead and die.

My mom doesn't listen to me, and the only thing I can do is take care of my own betta who's perfectly happy in his heated and filtered 5gal.

What can I do?? Its my mom and she doesn't even care about what I have to say, even after her fish keep dying. I just hate watching these beautiful fish pass away.

Any suggestions? I'm honestly stuck
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Oh dear, that must be frustrating! Hmmmm what to do though...... maybe if she doesn't really care about them you could offer to take on her bettas so that you could house them appropriately. If she allows you to take the bettas maybe you could offer to buy her some more corey catfish to replace them. Maybe you could do a quick water change when she isn't looking if you have the time. Doesn't seem fair that you have to care for her pets though.........but if it is the only way to help them.

In fact that is the only reason I ever got into bettas, dad got a betta as a present and didn't care for it. I couldn't stand to see a living creature suffer so I took over his care....... 10 years later I am still hooked and have 19 bettas!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

Start changing the water and if you can afford get her a second aquarium. I think Petco still has the $1 per gallon sale going on. You can put the females in the 10 gallon tank along with some of the other fish. I would just let her come home one day and find it already set up. You might also try finding youtube video on the subjects you are trying to tell her about. Most people learn and listen more easily when it's on a video and it's someone besides the family member reaffirming what you've been telling her.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #4 
Luimeril

three females isn't enough, either. x: for a sorority, you need four or more.

i suggest removing the male, first of all. say he wasn't looking too good, and you didn't want the others to get sick. and take over water changes on your own. offer to replace the male with another female or two, if you can. that's the best route to go, imo.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #5 
Fin Fancier

Not that it will fix the ignorance, but in the best interest of the fish you could take care of them on the sly. There must be times when you're home that she isn't. This is the perfect time for a water change. Being that the male tends to hide most of the time you might be able to get away with moving him out of the tank into a temp home and just say he was looking a little rough so you thought you'd help make him feel better. Even a 1 gallon bowl in a warm room is going to be better than a stressed out, overstocked tank that is probably suffering an ammonia spike from dead fish...
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #6 
Mar

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!! I really really talked to her and showed her the nitrogen cycle online and explained to her that this is the reason why her tetras are dying. She agreed and stopped buying Tetras. I'll try to get the male out of there, and I will try to get water changes done quickly (just did a 50% today :D )
also, should I stop at petsmart to get 1 or 2 female bettas? That would bring the total up to 4-5. More of a sorority
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #7 
veggiegirl

Sounds like a plan!!!! and yes I would buy a couple more females to make a sorority
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #8 
Mar

Thanks again for all the help!

Update: I was too late. Female bettas have started dying off and the males belly is overextended. I absolutely hate it when such beautiful creatures die, but at least my mom is listening to me now about buying the proper equipment, tanks and the nitrogen cycle :) problem solved! Hopefully no other bettas will have to die