Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #1 
homegrown terror

controlling algae without hurting other plants?

is there any way to limit green algae growth in your tank without hurting the other live plants? (or the animals for that matter) i know most tactics involve reducing light to the tank, but that could hurt or kill the plants we WANT to keep in there, and then poison the water when they decay.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #2 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
is there any way to limit green algae growth in your tank without hurting the other live plants? (or the animals for that matter) i know most tactics involve reducing light to the tank, but that could hurt or kill the plants we WANT to keep in there, and then poison the water when they decay.
People have reported excel killing algae, but seachem doesn't advertise it as an algaecide. You can try that if you wish, but there is no guarentee that it will work. Other ways include scraping them off manually with an algae scraper. You can also perform more often water changes tor remove nutrients (remember to test your source water!) or get more plants. Marimo moss balls are pretty much a form of algae that consumes the same nutrients as algae. I have also seen a thread in the DIY section on an algae filter (check the thread to learn more).

Just a few options out there, there are more out there.

Edit: If it is the algae suspended in the water (blue green algae right?) then the best way to remove it is direct water changes.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

excel? what kind of green algae?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 
VJM

Google up "one two punch algae". Worked like a champ on my tank, and I only did the hydrogen peroxide step. Occasional manual removal of cyanobacteria when doing water changes has eradicated that plague.

After I treated the tank, I put in nerite snails. So far, so good.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 
Artemis

Oto cats work well. They eat algae and pellets but won't eat plants. I don't know anything else though.

Edit: About them! I know a lot but not much on them. They are small though
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #6 
FeatherStone

Otos don't stay small though. If you want a manual cleaner (aka algae eater) you're better off with snails or shrimp (although my shrimp just eats decaying stuff).
FeatherStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Otos actually stay pretty small.
Plecos grow to be a feet XD

but otos really need to be in a school to be happy. So I wouldn't recommend anything less than a ten gallon for this species.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #8 
FeatherStone

Really? Damn, and I passed up the otos for corys. How big do the oto's get? I've always heard they get pretty large, but it could just be the LFS spreading bad info.
FeatherStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

i've seen 2" otos, buts that's as big as they get :3 Usually cories get to 3" or more
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #10 
Wildbetta

Depending on what type of green algae you are having, you can try several options. If it is the soft green surface algae -- critters like otos, shrimp, and various snails will eat that stuff up. The harder surface green algae -- is mainly a scrape off the tank yourself and reduce light OR add more plants to eat up the extra nutrients. The nasty blue/green algae is really cynobacteria and there is no real proven method for clearing that up--just a bunch of different ways to work on clearing it up from what I can tell and nothing works full proof. You might want to try a multiple step way to clear it. Cut back your lighting a bit and add some more plants that suck up nutrients like hornwort, or anachris.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote