Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Plant questions

So my moneywort plants are a little on the happy side in my tank and are sprouting new growths! Makes me really happy. They grew really tall too. However, I don't think my Wisteria is too pleased with my tank. They don't look like they're dying, exactly... I can't tell if they're just dirty, or if they're going to die off. It just looks like brown algae is growing on them. Stems look fine. It's just the leaves. My Corkscrew Vals are doing better. They were miserable at first, but now they're better. My Mondo Grass, Anubius, and Java Fern all seem pretty happy.

But I have a question. Now that the moneywort is growing so much, is it okay to shorten them? What do I do? Just snip the stem and replant? Will it kill the plant? They have roots all over, just sprouting randomly from the stem, and then other full stems growing from there.

Also, would cutting the other plants in half kill them as well? I would like to break up my mondo grass, if I can.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can pick off some of the new stems that sprout from the sides, I usually make sure they are at least an inch to an inch and a half long first so when you plant them, it wont just be the tip sticking out. Also you can cut them right under where roots are growing, give about half an inch of space under the roots and snip there. The moneywort might not grow a new top from that particular place that you cut but it should start growing a new stem right on the side of the one you just cut.

I've never had to trim my anubias before so I'm not sure about that one and java fern I'm sure you can just snip away at it to your pleasing however someone more experienced with java fern should correct me about that.

Oh and by the way, mondo grass isn't fully aquatic so I'd watch out with that one, keep an eye for rotting and make sure to snip the leaves that decay so your ammonia levels don't spike.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Thanks for the help! :) I'm glad I can cut the moneywort. They're a bit too tall for my tank now!

The mondo grass is actually doing really well. I know it's not fully aquatic, so I've been watching it. I always up root my plants and move them while I clean the tank, so I can inspect them more closely. It's been doing really well and my bettas love it. If it is possible, I'd like to divide it up too so I can put some on both halves of my divider.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Alrighty, good to know! And I'm not sure about it still but I would look up Mondo grass propagation and see how it grows, maybe it will have something about cutting it or splitting it as well. Could also just look for Mondo grass trim or something :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm just going to wait for the mondo grass to grow more before I split it. I did cut down my moneywort though. Now it's shorter but fuller. Hopefully they start growing tall again really fast!