Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 
obxfiction

Tail Perfect Last Night, Shredded Today

A few weeks ago, my blue veiltail male, Azure, had finrot. I treated him with Maracyn 2, and he got better. His ammonia and nitrate levels are perfect, and his fins looked beautiful last night. Today, they're badly shredded. He has 2 new Otocynclus Catfish as tankmates, along with one we've had for several weeks. Nothing I read indicates the cats would be eating his fins. What could it be??? He seems fine otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.
obxfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 
marquettefan

Hmm. I'm not an expert with bettas or the catfish, but I'd guess that he was either biting his fins or they were caught on something in the tank. However, without any more information, (pictures are awesome) it's hard to make a further guess. Hopefully some other members can help.

Hope he gets better!
marquettefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #3 
obxfiction

This is the end of his tail. He was hiding under his bridge. Nothing is different in his tank as far as decorations, but he has 2 new Otocinclus Catfish. They've been in his tank for 2 nights. He doesn't seem to mind them, and they don't seem to care about him, either. They're both tiny...about a half inch long. Could they be doing this while he sleeps? It seems odd that his tail became so ribbony and shredded overnight.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 
Naladari

You sure he's not biting or his fins could be getting caught on something?
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #5 
Stone

that is either tailbiting or he is shredding them on tank decorations, I would suggest doing the pantyhose test on everything run panty hose over everything and see if they get caught if they get caught they can snag fins
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #6 
obxfiction

He's had the same decorations in his tank since I got him. My husband noticed that since we got the Oto Cats, Azure has been swimming along the bottom a lot, checking them out. He's dragging his tail on the gravel as he swims. Could that be it?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #7 
HeroicPoison

Try using stresscoat+ the repair his fins it works really well :) also filters can be dangerous... I'm some cases they are too strong and can suck in bettas fins try using nylon to ensure his tail isn't getting sucked in. For safe measures until his fins heal I'd try separating him from his tank mates, this will also reduce stress and help him heal
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 
Stone

I doubt the gravel could do it but I guess it could if it was sharp, I would guess he is a tailbiter then, if it's not the decor
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's probably a tail biter. Usually you won't see them do it. Just keep his water clean.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #10 
Laki

I agree, it's in typical mouth-shaped chunks. I would be willing to bet he's nipping his own fins. I doubt the cories would bother him, they're generally peaceful, ESPECIALLY we fed well!! How many cory cats do you have?? You should keep them in a group of at least 4 of the same type and you won't have a problem. The betta could be biting because of lack of environmental change (toss in some new plants or change their positions), he could be bored (throw in a small floating bottle cap), invest in some live food cultures (like daphnia or mosquito larvae and he'll have a ball hunting them), or pay more attention to him by keeping the tank in a busy room so he can watch people all day long. Point pens and fingers at him, find what makes him tick and dance.

Clean water will have the tail regrowing in less than a week.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredded tail, veiltail.