Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #1 
WaffleSire

Round vs Drum Fish Bowls

Hey, guys! I've been admiring different betta habitats, and find that I like fish bowls the most. But forget that, what I want to know is, if you have a fish bowl, is it drum or round? Are there pros and cons to each bowl? If so, why did you pick the one you did?

This is just out of curiosity, I want to see if one is better than the other. C:
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I have both that had been given to me, each I think are .7 gallons. I've only used each of them once for a QT tank but I liked the drum better because I could see my little girl in there better. With the bowl, the glass kept magnifying my boy which was just weird and then when he was at certain parts of the bowl I couldn't see him. Either way I probably won't use them again but that's my experience with them. :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
Twixies

Yes, I agree with what lilnaugrim said, just think, if the bowl magnifies our view of our fish, wouldn't our fish see us weird too? Bowls distorts the views from the outside and inside, and it's not normal for bettas, so I don't like bowls too well
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Just read that the surface area is important, so a rectangular tank will have a larger surface area for air.

I prefer drum if I only have those 2 choices because of easier viewing as mentioned. I would also pick one withe widest opening for easy retrieval/cupping of the fish, if possible.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #5 
WaffleSire

Right, i'd been meaning to put "vs Other" in the title, too, incase you could compare something like Kritter Keepers, too, but I forgot. -w-'

I think round bowls look a little nicer and fancier and have more room at the bottom for gravel and plants and whatnot, but Twixies has a good point about distortion. Plus, it'd be awkward to put a wall-mounted heater on it. Do drum bowls crack any easier than rounds?
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 
JellOh

I've only had a round bowl that I'll use for quarantine, but it deffinatly makes it hard to see the fish. I've run over to it to many times because I couldn't see the fish and thought they jumped or the cat had gotten them (never has happened). Also, the drum bowl has more room for the betta to go back in forth.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote