Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #1 
Scottyhorse

Sbd?

I bought a betta yesterday, and since they are in the little cups it's really hard to tell if they can swim okay or not. I got him home and put him in his planted pickle jar thing, (after I acclimated him of course) I realized he is really struggling to swim! He's acting like he has to drag himself to move. Sometimes he'll kinda fall over, but he'll try and right himself again.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen Blood Worms, Peas, Hikari Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every Couple of Days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Amquel Plus+, he's in spring water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Can't swim.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Feeding Peas
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, got him at an LFS.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #2 
mushumouse

my betta had a problem with the hikari pellets- they apparently contain a lot of filler that expands in the betta's stomach- so perhaps if the problem is sbd, you should try him on NLS pellets. are you feeding him all those things every day or is that just how you plan to vary his diet? because that's a lot of food! if you've been feeding him peas, know that bettas can't digest peas. people use them sometimes as a way to try and force out blockages in a betta's digestive system when they're bloated, but a lot of people here seem to think they do more harm than good even as a way of dealing with constipation- feeding a laxative food like daphnia, or adding 1 tsp/gallon epsom salts to the water might be better if that's what the problem is. but if his stomach doesn't look bloated, he might be having problems swimming for some other reason..?

i also have to say, if your betta is having trouble swimming, it would be better to keep him in something longer and shallower than a typical jar shape, since he has to swim to the surface to breathe.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #3 
Scottyhorse

His stomach is not bloated. I'm planning on upgrading if he gets better :) My parents said that is he doesn't make it, I am not allowed to have any more bettas. So I don't want to invest a bunch of money on a nicer tank then have him die. I've got lots of stem plants for him to rest on, and they go to the top so he doesn't have to work as hard for air. You can tell he REALLY wants to swim in his new 'tank' but he can't.

ETA- I am currently not feeding the hikari betta pellets, since the float, and he doesn't know how to come up to the top of the tank yet. I'm feeding him peas just to rule out constipation or bloating first, because then I can move onto other treatment options. I don't think he has constipation though, here was a lot of poop in the water of his cup.
I don't have any frozen daphina, and I only have table salt.

Also, I didn't know there was a double thread post. If a mod wants to join them together that'd be great.

Last edited by Scottyhorse; 04-14-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #4 
Scottyhorse

He seems to be swimming better today, even made a bubble nest last night :) He'll swim too many laps around his tank and then he has to rest.