Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 
Domination66

terrified please help

Ok. So Swimmy is 3-4 years old and she is only an inch big. She never grew full size. She has always been tiny with hardly any fins (they are small). About 2 weeks ago I started to notice that she wasn't swimming. She was floating on her side and vertically. She is also a greyish color instead of her blue. I did a full water change 2 1/2 days ago and put in some API salt following directions. Since, I haven't noticed anything really. Just a few mins ago I did another 100% water change and I'm only using 1/2 gallon as she is having a hard time getting to the top to breathe; so I added 1/4 tsp of API salt. I can see her poo on the gravel, so she is eating and going. I give her Micro Hikari Pellets. I have recently tried Omaga One flakes and freeze dried blood worms, but her mouth is too small. She can barely eat a pellet. I did try to break them up but she just kinda blows them off after I do so and decides she isn't hungry.She also misses her food when she trys to eat it. She has been without a heater or filter since I got her from Petco so i'm trying to decide what to get for a setup. What do I do? I don't want her to die.

Last edited by Domination66; 04-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Domination66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry she's having problems. Since she's 3-4 years old, you must be doing something right! That's a long life, and it's possible that she's starting to feel her age a little. (For example, missing the food, etc.)

I would stop using the aquarium salt. It contains sodium, which can contribute to bloating and fluid retention, which in turn can cause buoyancy issues. Plus, the sodium causes stress on the kidneys.

Since she's having buoyancy issues, I would try using Epsom salt instead. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) It has a laxative effect, and should help eliminate bloating and fluid retention. Start by adding 0.5 teaspoons per gallon. (This would be just 0.25 teaspoons in your half-gallon tank.) Dissolve the salt completely in some conditioned water, and add it to her tank slowly. She can remain in this for up to two weeks, if needed. If the buoyancy issues continue, you can increase the Epsom salt to 1 teaspoon per gallon. (0.5 teaspoons in your half gal tank.)

Why do you want to switch her food? If she's been doing well on the micro pellets, I would just keep feeding her those. She may not like the new food as much, so she's not overly interested in eating it.

If she keeps missing her food, contact AyalaCookiejar. She has a blind betta, so she may have tips for helping your girl track her food better.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
Domination66

Ok i got some of that salt. I do still change every day though right? Well that was before she had this problem. She's back on those pellets. She must love them cause before this I offered her a different kinda of pellets and she wouldn't even look at it. But thanks for the answer. It was what I was looking for. :)
Domination66 is offline   Reply With Quote