Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #1 
Raincloud

Wink Suggestions for places to purchase Betta's

After doing research I have found myself very interested in sororities. It would be a while before I would be prepared to purchase female beta's but I was curious where anyone would suggest getting young female bettas from? I do not feel comfortable purchasing online and would prefer buying locally. At my local petsmart there are not many options but other local pet stores may be a better bet. Right now I am in the process of saving for a 20gallon tank so I am not in a rush and would rather wait to find the best fish for a reasonable price.
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Petsmart, petco (my favorite store when I go to America), and there are probably a few locally owned stores that can be really great.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #3 
Stone

Well, petco/petsmart will work just take your time I would guess you want 10 or so? I would just hit petco petsmart and any local fish stores we have our rounds we make but we are pretty much done with stocking our tanks, besides for our dream fish I have been wanting a nice red male halfmoon king/giant betta and all we have been seeing is blues I can wait, but when building your sorority the important thing will be getting the tank properly set up with enough plants real or fake to break line of sight and plenty of hiding spots (caves pots stuff like that) and getting the tank cycled be it they will be nipping and tail slapping and stuff so having a cycled tank with nice clean water will help them heal up faster and keep things like fin rot from setting in and I would suggest getting the 20 gallon long they run about 30 bucks just the tank the tank is usually the cheapest part you will need hood/top lights filter and so on
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #4 
Raincloud

What do you think of these dimensions 24 in W x 12 in H x 16 in D?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #5 
Raincloud

Also, what do you think of 10 gallon? I figured 20 would be better and would do that if it was important but 10 gallons would be much cheaper, it seems.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #6 
Starfish1

Stone, take a look in the betta classifieds section, there is someone there selling red giant bettas.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #7 
Myates

In 10 gallons you would want to stick with 5-6 girls, which would make finding a bit easier at a local store. A 10g sorority is fine :) $30 for a tank, hood/lights, filter at Walmart. Unfortunately I don't know any breeders in your state :( But I would call the local stores and ask when they get their shipments.. I believe Petco gets most of their fish on Wed, sometimes some on Tues and Fridays.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #8 
Raincloud

Look at everything I think a 10 gallon would be more reasonable. Thanks for the tip to call ahead, I think that would save a lot of time. :)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

My petco gets some of the most gorgeous bettas in...I have no idea who's supplying them, but they're lovely. But, I agree with the others, make sure you try and go in the day of the shipment or the day after, because the less time they spend in those cups, the healthier they'll be.

Right now, through April 27th, you can get a 20 gallon long aquarium for 22$ at petco. They're on sale. As for the hood and the light, you can do a DIY for about 15$ (and you'll have plenty of plexi left over for other tanks as well.)
All you need to do is go to a local hardware store and get some acrylic/plexiglass and have it cut to the size of your tank (leaving a bit of an overhang along the sides so it fits over the top) and leave a section along one side *short* so that you have room for your filter, heater, and lamp.
Then you can purchase a clip-on desk lamp from walmart (I got several for $7 recently), and you're good to go. :) Here's a picture of two of my tanks set up this way:

(excuse the mess, these tanks are in my catch-all/storage room...so there's always left-over furniture, clothes, things of that sort hanging around in there. :)

Since I did several tanks and was able to use all the acrylic that I bought, it cost me 10$ per tank for the lid and the lamp, so this is definitely cheaper than buying a hood. And I like the sleekness of a clear top on a tank, and being able to see my guys from above. :) (But that's just personal preference. :)

Oh, and one more, here's a link from amazon for the lamps if you can't find them locally:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%20desk%20lamp

(there's one about halfway down for $9, but there are several styles depending on what you like best. :)

Last edited by Blue Fish; 04-14-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 
Raincloud

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if you can view the 20 gallon long tank online? I couldn't find it on petco.com but maybe it's just in-stores? My plan is to purchase things one at a time and slowly build up the tank before going adding any fish anyways. Does anyone have suggestions for decorations? I know I will need a lot for a sorority tank and was wondering if anyone had any DIY ideas or know where to get cheap ones? Originally I was going to do alot live plants but now I am thinking plastic/silk.

Tags
female bettas, sorority