Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #11 
VJM

I highly recommend rescue or rehomed fish. If you get the tank all set up, and then just keep your eyes open, there are bettas that need new homes all over. craigslist, and the classifieds here are a great place to start.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #12 
Artemis

I have 5 girls in a 10gal but will get 2 more soon and maybe 1 or 2 Tuesday. (long story involving a dead cory cat, store credit, and fly larvae in a can :) ) A 10 gal is fine and 10 dollars (tax not included) at petco right now.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #13 
Raincloud

Is the deal at petco everwhere? *0*
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #14 
Raincloud

I found a 10 gallon at petsmart for $30 with hood, light and filter but I would have to replace the filter anyways because I heard it was too strong.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #15 
Raincloud

I ended up getting a 10 gallon from petco today! I still need a million things but I am excited to get this out of the way :)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #16 
Raincloud

What do you think: live plants or are silk plants?

I know that the plastic plants can shred their fins.I would like to put them in the best possible situation for success since I know a sorority tank could back fire.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #17 
Blue Fish

It is much cheaper to purchase silk/fabric plants at craft stores or walmart than it is to purchase fabric plants at the pet store. If you use the craft store plants, you can take them apart, take out any metal in the leaves (middle stems are okay, but make certain that no part of the metal is exposed to the water (seal with aquarium sealant)), same with sealant to glue them back together again. :) Then you can use some additional aquarium sealant to apply polished stones (also at craft stores) to the bottom to weigh them down in your substrate.
With a sorority, the lower decorations are not as important as having enough plants in all three levels of the tank, bottom, middle, and up near the surface. My guys *love* having several floating plastic cups (short, squat, plastic tumblers, you can usually get them in a set of three or four at walmart, grocery stores, and dollar stores) around the top as well to give them additional places to hide out. :)
Doing it this way, you can spend about ten bucks, and have lots of plants of all different heights, and plenty of floating caves for them as well. :)

I hope that helps, if you need more information, PM me. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #18 
isochronism

I had my larger tank going for two months before adding fish. Experimenting with all the live plants was VERY rewarding in itself.
Adding the fish was just the icing on the cake. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #19 
Raincloud

Thanks for the tip on the silk plants at walmart. I am thinking of converting my 5.5 tank to live plants but I am so excited about my first sorority that I think silk would be faster and cheaper :)

Tags
female bettas, sorority