Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #11 
Rilly10

Oh and my other Betta has Monapi wood in his tank...should I use some of that water? I have the leaves on order but not here yet :(
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

@HeroicPoison - Oh no! I'm getting a reputation around here! (Thank you for the compliments!) Since he can swim OK, it doesn't sound like a swim bladder issue. The 'falling over' could just be that he's exhausted and not feeling well right now... I think he's probably just stressed from his recent travel. Since the other fish didn't make it, it's likely that the shipping was very difficult, especially due to the warm weather.

I think at this point, he just needs time to recover. The fact that he's still alive (when his companion died), indicates that he's a fighter, but he was put through a pretty stressful time to get to his new home.

Clean, warm water.... a quiet darkened location.... a tannin source if you can get it... and when he's ready to eat, some good food. I can't think of anything more to help.

You can send a message to Sakura8 or Olympia. They may be able to help. Also, there are some people around who get a lot of fish shipped to them. They may be able to help, too.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-13-2013 at 05:43 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Rilly10 - I think your 1 gal bowl will work great right now. Yes, definitely acclimate him slowly. The slower, the better! The water in there will have different chemistry than the water in your larger tank... So this is a lot of change for him in a short time. (First, the stress of being shipped, and the poor water quality in his shipping bag. Then being put in your tank, and now being moved into another tank with different water.)

I'm not familiar with the effect of the Monapi wood on water chemistry. Can you use the test kit to determine the water parameters on the other betta's water? The main thing is that ammonia needs to be low.

(I suspect the Monapi wood will lower the pH, and it may have tannin, too.... If your new guy came from Thailand, he's probably used to soft, acidic water with lots of IAL. So if the wood does lower the pH and adds tannins, then it should be OK. But again, I'd only use the water from the other fish's tank if the ammonia level is 0 ppm.)

How long have you had the other fish? If he's new, I'd be concerned about transmission of disease or parasites. If you've had him a long time, then at least you know he's healthy. (Although, some biologists feel that all fish naturally carry some bacteria and parasites. So you do risk exposing your new guy to something by sharing water between them. If he is healthy, then his immune system would normally fight it off. But right now, he's stressed, which could make him more susceptible.)

Eh, that one's a toss up. All in all, I might go with new water for the new guy, but maybe put the Mopani wood into his 1 gal bowl, as a tannin source. But it's your call, based on what you know of the other fish, and how comfortable you are with using his water for your newbie.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-13-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes Mopani wood will bring the Ph down, but I don't believe it brings it down as much as regular driftwood will. I have three pieces of mopani in my 33 and it's still keeping steady at a 7.0 (which is good but I still wanted it lower for my girls)
Good luck to you!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #15 
Rilly10

OK got some oak leaves! Gonna search what to do with them!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #16 
Rilly10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes Mopani wood will bring the Ph down, but I don't believe it brings it down as much as regular driftwood will. I have three pieces of mopani in my 33 and it's still keeping steady at a 7.0 (which is good but I still wanted it lower for my girls)
Good luck to you!
Could the pH be causing his issues? I thought it was the ammonia or stress from shipping?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends, if there was a drastic change, say if he were in 6.0 ph and you said yours is around 7 to 7.5 there is a small possibility. But since you acclimated him for 4 hours I don't really think that is the case. And betta's have been known to thrive in pretty much any range of ph (within reason).
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #18 
Rilly10

Thanks! Ok dumb question, do I need to clean the oak leaves or anything or just throw them in?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

It could be pH and/or ammonia. Anything that's 'different' about your water will require that his system adjust to it.

The 1ppm of ammonia is a major issue. That's too high. (Which you already know....) But a change in other water parameters, including pH, can also make him uncomfortable until he adapts to it. He's probably used to acidic (lower pH), soft water, if he came from Thailand.

Hold on... Will try to find Oldfishlady's information about using Oak Leaves. She posted a recipe on it....
Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #20 
Rilly10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
It could be pH and/or ammonia. Anything that's 'different' about your water will require that his system adjust to it.

The 1ppm of ammonia is a major issue. That's too high. (Which you already know....) But a change in other water parameters, including pH, can also make him uncomfortable until he adapts to it. He's probably used to acidic (lower pH), soft water, if he came from Thailand.

Hold on... Will try to find Oldfishlady's information about using Oak Leaves. She posted a recipe on it....
How do I know what the bad ammonia reading is then? I read the meter tests the ammonia, but not ammonium and the drop test shows all (bad and neutralized from the prime). So I am not sure if it really still is at a 1 ppm?