Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #1 
PeetaTheBetta

How do I get my real driftwood ready for tank

I just bought some live (not fake) driftwood to go into my tank and I was wondering how to get it ready to go in? I also bought some plants...
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Depends on if you want tannins in your tank or not.
If you don't care about that or do want tannins, I usually just give it a good rinse and go ahead and throw it in! Same with the plants, a good rinse, bit of a trim if they need it and in they go.
But if you don't want tannins then there's two things you can do. The first is (if it's a small enough piece) you can boil it. This one I haven't done yet so I would either wait for someone's comment or google it. The other is to just soak it in a bucket of dechlorinated water for about a week, change the water everyday until you stop seeing tannin being released :) hope this helps a bit.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 
PeetaTheBetta

Ok I just decided to boil it............Do I have to treat the plants with salt or anything if I got them from a stocked tank at Petco?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 
PeetaTheBetta

I googled boiling the wood and everybody said that boiling is the best way!! Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No problem! I've never had a problem with the plants that come in the tubes/bags from Petco/Petsmart but if you are worried about it you can quarantine them for a week or so. I'm not sure about using salt on them but it definitely doesn't hurt. I would probably google that as well (sorry not really giving a good answer here lol) But from my experience, I've never had any problems with those plants :)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 
Lena N

I got 2 pieces of driftwood from Petco tanks. First peice washed with brush and rinsed it with boiled water, after I was keeping it in bucket in bathroom (dark place), changing cold water everyday. For a week.
After added it to tank. It has been in a tank for a week or more now and it looks very pretty and clean, no algue.
Another piece I just rinsed twice in boiled water. That piece has some algeu on it right now.
I would reccomend to soak your wood for a week in dark place, changing cold tap water every day. If there is any fungus it would show up and you could clean it more.

Last edited by Lena N; 04-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #7 
kyle89

I got a piece from a Petco tank. I scrubbed it with a brush and boiled it for around two hours an it has been soaking for the past two weeks. Leana n did your tank water get a slight brown at all after adding the Petco wood?
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that slight brown tint or tea color is just the tannins being released from the wood. Nothing harmful but will lower your PH a bit over time. Some fish actually like a black water environment like tetras and even betta's like it as it is usually a more acidic environment.

Also what I did for my Mopani is just soak it in a bucket for a week but I changed the water everyday but replaced it with hot decholorinated water.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 
PeetaTheBetta

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #10 
OrangeAugust

My driftwood was a dry piece that I bought from a LFS. It was too big to boil so I washed it and put it in my tank. The water is a light tea color but I don't mind.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote