Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?freeze dried bloodworms, pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Currently cycling, 20-50% every other day or as indicated by water tests
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner. It's supposed to be similar to stress coat, will post correct brand when I get home.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.6
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bulge/lump at stomach
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/a possibly clamped fins?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fasting since Wednesday, fed some pea yesterday, no change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Occasionally gets his fins ripped by the old filter. Nothing since then.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Had him approximately one month.

Altair is causing me trouble again. After moving him to a new tank and adding some ghost shrimp, he seemed fine for a few days, and then the shrimp disappeared and he developed a suspiciously shrimp sized lump in his stomach. There were four shrimp, all of them have gone missing, and each were about 3/4 of an inch long. I'm pretty sure he's eaten and/or killed them, and fasting him has done nothing. I'm thinking the next step is an Epsom salt bath but I'm not entirely sure how to do that. Can't post a picture just now but I will post one when I get home tonight.
Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 
Twixies

DO NOT FEED HIM PEAS! Bettas are carnivores and do not eat plants. You can try frozen daphnia, it helps with constipation. What kind of pellets do you feed your fish? Often times, that's the problem, a lot of food has a lot of filters in it, the most recommended brands are Omega One or New Life Spectrum, they have less filters and more meat.

From DarkMoon17:
Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.

Oh yea, keep him in a container with a bare bottom so you can see if he's pooping

Last edited by Twixies; 04-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
then the shrimp disappeared and he developed a suspiciously shrimp sized lump in his stomach.
This made me laugh.

So you've fasted him for 4 days, and he's still bloated? As Twixies suggested, daphnia has a laxative effect, so that's an option. And so is Epsom salt.....

For Epsom salt --> Don't put him in a bath. You can keep him in the Epsom salt for the duration of the treatment. Unlike aquarium salt, Epsom salt doesn't damage the kidneys, and your plants, if you have any, won't mind it. (It's used as a fertilizer, actually.)

Use 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) You can start with a low dosage, of about 0.5 teaspoons per gallon, and see if that's effective. If he's still bloated in a day or two, you can increase the dosage to 1 teaspoon per gallon.

Dissolve the Epsom salt completely in conditioned water. You don't want any salt crystals remaining. Slowly add it to his tank, over the course of about an hour. (Basically, you're doing an acclimation process.)

Salts do not evaporate, so you don't need to readd any salt.

If you do a water change, replace the Epsom salt. For example: Say you replace 1 gal of tank water. Add 0.5 teaspoons of Epsom salt to the new 1 gal of water. This will keep him in the correct dosage.

Epsom salt has a laxative effect (in both people and fish!). You should see "poopage" within 1-2 days, most likely.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-13-2013 at 06:42 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 
Twixies

Ahaha, wow, I didn't even see the last paragraph until just now, at least you know why he's constipated haha, that's so cute
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #5 
Esahc

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure he's been fasting...he keeps ducking down behind the driftwood where I can't see him, I think he might be snacking on the shrimp >.<
I'll move him back to his old tank for a bit and treat him with Epsom salts. I might drop by petsmart tomorrow and see if I can't grab a small thing of daphnia.
The food is the cheap aqueon stuff I think.
I do have some cheap freeze dried daphnia, would that help at all?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well, if he's still snacking on his buddies.... The easiest way to cure him is to deprive him of his snack food. The bloating should go down after a day or two of fasting. If it doesn't, then you can look into the daphnia or Epsom salt. But I think the mid-meal snacking is the issue.

Poor little shrimpies! Can you put the shrimp into another tank?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #7 
Esahc

Update

Okay, so apparently I have misunderstood exactly where a betta's stomach actually is, and what shape it is. He actually hasn't been bloated, his swim bladder is slightly swollen. I realized this last night. Now that I'm on an actual computer, I can post a picture. It doesn't look like anything much but a shadow there (he won't stop moving long enough for me to get a clear picture), but in person it looks almost sharp and/or bruised against the light, and I know it wasn't there before. He hasn't got any trouble swimming, so I don't know if there's even anything wrong.

It's probably going to end up being nothing again. This fish, guys. This fish is going to kill me with the false alarms.

Also, as I was typing this, two of the shrimp came out and started cleaning the tank. I don't even know at this point.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yay! The shrimp are alive! LOL

You may want to consider switching his food. The Aqueon food is OK, but it contains a lot of grains. Some bettas become constipated from grains (wheat, corn, soybean, etc.) The two most often recommended foods on this forum are New Life Spectrum (NLS) betta pellets, and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

I have a high maintenance fish, too. So I understand why you selected the "hitting your head against the brick wall" emoticon! My guy became constipated and bloated while on Aqueon. I switched him over to Omega One, and he's been more "regular."