Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #1 
Bettaboy18

Cant kill callamunus worms emergency!

I gave my giant breeding pair callamunus worms from feeding them guppies. I know fish store feeders are nasty but i did it any way cause i had no access to my usual CLEAN feeders( I now again have access, not a problem anymore). Now i have a fat striping female GHMPK(will medi kill the unfertilizied eggs in her?) with a male GHMPK going crazy for her BOTH WITH SEIRIOUSLY BAD CALLAMUNUS WORMS. The reason why it is so severe is because i have been treating with Levamisole for 4 day & its not working(could of i got ripped off with fake stuff from ebay?). Anyway I need a forsure quick fix EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP TIMES TICKING FOR MY BUDDIES TZAR & RACHINI!

I really appreciate your interest & concern in my unfortunate situation, thank you.
Bettaboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 
trilobite

Aw no! I killed it with aviverm which is a bird wormer. Didnt catch in in time to save the fish but it definitely killed the worms, they stopped wriggling out his bum and just hung there lifeless...
Hope you manage to kill them
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Camallanus worms are a real bear to treat in small fish like bettas. I've lost at least 4 fish out of 5 cases. Might even be 5/6, I can't remember now.

In some cases, treating with levamisole kills the worms but if the fish is not eating, then the dead worms stay in the stomach and cause a severe secondary bacterial infection.

To help, add 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon and do everything you can to encourage your fish to eat. He cannot expell the dead worms if he isn't passing waste.

In regards to the medication affecting eggs . . . I honestly don't know but it won't matter if they can't get rid of the worms. :(

Should you succeed in ridding them of the worms, treat again in three weeks time. The reason for this followup treatment is because levamisole is only effective on adult worms, not on eggs or larva. So any eggs or larva in the tank and fish's system have time to become adults that the levamisole can kill.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sakura8; 04-12-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm not familiar with the specific worm in this case but seachem paraguard is a great anti parasetic. I wiped out worms of some sort by doing one dip, a strong and quick dose essentially.

Edit- Nevermind! Didn't realize it is internal! Sakura knows what she is taking about.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #5 
Sakura8

I despise camallanus worms. The sight of those little red worms sticking out of the fish bum is enough to make me scream.

Also, these worms are highly contagious. It's best to treat every tank you have unless you are positive you haven't cross-contaminated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #6 
Bettaboy18

Ya 5 of my tanks are infected, THESE THINGs ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!!! I know what you mean Sakura about them makin ya WANT TO SCREAM! LOL(even though this isn't funny). Well I've been still continuing on with levamisole treatment(in the water & food) and feeding extra but still they are not being affected! I can't find any Aviverm anywhere but I'm going to keep looking. For now I'll continue with my process, look for Aviverm, & wait for more solutions to be posted. Thank you very much Sakura8, Trilobite, and MattsBettas, Your help is so greatly appreciated.
Bettaboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 
trilobite

I think aviverm might be a nz product, not sure though. You may be able to get it online or something.
Good luck with your hunt for a cure!
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
giant betta breeding pair, help me, parasite, sick