Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #1 
Clark007

I would like you all to meet Trooper.

I would first like to say that this poor fish lives up to his new name. I recently bought a fish tank and was looking at Dragon fish and Neon fish at Pet Headquarters ( a small pet store) when my mom called me and said "Hey did you buy a fish yet?" I told her I was looking at some really neat fish at that moment when she told me stop looking and come to her house and to be as fast as I could about it. I arrived at her house in 5 minutes as the pet store was just down the street. She pointed to a little plastic container on her counter she knew I had been setting up the tank for a few days to treat the water and let the water reach room temperature and all the things that go with getting a new tank and fish. She explained to me that she had went to check her mail and found that in the mail box. I picked up the container and ran to my house. The water was very warm and inside when I opened it were 3 male betta fish 2 dead and one looking very very miserable. I thought what kind of person puts 3 male betta fish together, then it dawned on me that it's summer vaccation and kids are on break so they were probably looking for cheap entertainment and watched the betta's tear eachother to shreds then didn't want to keep the one that lived and shoved it into a mail box. I dumped out the surviving male betta's fallen bretheren into the toilet and as much of their remains as possible without much trama to the surviving one and ran to float the plastic container, the water was way too hot to just fling him in the new tank, buuutttt he decided he didnt want to be in the little cup anymore and jumped into the new tank. I watched him for about an hour looking for shock or just to even see if he would make it all together. It's been 72 hours and he seems alright he has trouble turning most of his fins are all but gone. It has a bubble blower thing in the tank and at first he steered clear of it now he likes to swim in the middle of it and let it blow him all the way to the top then he swims back down and back into the bubbles. He waits at the corner of the tank sometimes, I think that is his way of telling me he is hungry. So he got his name Trooper and he is on my desk in his new home never to be treated badly again. I feel like I own a rescue home I know this isn't forum topic but I have a dog we found out in scull valley he was all skin an bones named Samuri and a chihuahua named athena who we rescued from an elder woman that didn't take proper care of her. So here I am and I had to tell you about an amazing fish who survived what I would consider the worst day of his life.
Clark007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

That's awesome that you had a tank and were able to take him. Now, you will need a heater for him, they need a constant 78 degrees. What size tank did you put him in? Oh, and keep an eye on the water parameters, we all use the liquid API kit because it's so much more accurate than test strips and if you just set up the tank it will very likely go through an ammonia bloom and that may stress Trooper more so if it gets above .25 ppm then change some water out (probably about 25%) and make sure it's the same temp and dechlorinate and all that.

Edit: I almost forgot...welcome to the forum!!!
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #3 
JMeenen

awww..He's cute..Thank You for saving him and the other animals too..I work for a Horse Rescue and also have many rescued Bettas as well.
Welcome to the forum!
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #4 
Neo

Thats awesome man, keep us informed of how its going
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #5 
Clark007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
That's awesome that you had a tank and were able to take him. Now, you will need a <span style="color:#3300FF;" onmouseover="return escape('A very important equipment used to regulate the temperature of the aquarium. It may or may not be included with a thermostat.')">heater</span> for him, they need a constant 78 degrees. What size tank did you put him in? Oh, and keep an eye on the water parameters, we all use the liquid API kit because it's so much more accurate than test strips and if you just set up the tank it will very likely go through an ammonia bloom and that may stress Trooper more so if it gets above .25 ppm then change some water out (probably about 25%) and make sure it's the same temp and dechlorinate and all that.

Edit: I almost forgot...welcome to the forum!!!

He is in a 5gal tank right now the heater is holding steady and I am watching the water so far so good. No clouds and a happy fish.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #6 
Clark007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeenen
awww..He's cute..Thank You for saving him and the other animals too..I work for a Horse Rescue and also have many rescued Bettas as well.
Welcome to the forum!
It's the best I can do. My husband is convinced we would have a zoo if I were allowed to lol. Our family currently consists of 4 dogs, a red ear slider, a sun conure ( spelling?), and Trooper. :) I am greatful that there are people out there that take in animals, such as your self and most of us on the forum, so that they suffer no more and have loving homes.

Ciao
~Jessi
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #7 
JMeenen

I'm there with you Clark007
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #8 
stephenmontero

thats a sad story but i am glad ur doing something about it
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #9 
Flashygrrl

Sounds wonderful :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #10 
okiemavis

He's a lucky guy to be left in your mailbox! They're pretty hardy, so if he makes a full recovery he should be able to live a long, health life. The main thing you'll want to watch out for is infection in his torn fins, you may want to add some melafix/bettafix to speed the recovery and prevent any scarring. Bettafix is the same as melafix except it is 1/10 the strength as bettas are sensitive to medication. You can just use melafix and add 1/10 of the recommended dose.

It's a natural, gentle anticbacterial plant extract that a lot of people use around this site. It's not extremely powerful, so it doesn't cure everything, but it is perfect for situations like this. In fact, it's very closely related to tea tree oil, you can use that instead if you look around this site for the dosing.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote